Help guys,a few problems/issues after headgasket was done.

Hello guys,

Approx 3 weeks ago i had my head gasket done by a company.

Firstly the good bits, the car drives fine now and doesnt seem to lose water anymore. Point to note incase it makes any difference is car is supercharged.

MK3 VR6 OBD2

Parts changed

Headgaskets and cylinder head bolts.

Exhaust and manifold gaskets.

Valve stem steals since we were skimming the head.

new oil and coolant from gsf

new bosch spark plugs.

Problem 1

Now, everytime i start the car after cold (say in the morning) The car revs upto 1700-1800revs and drops down to 1100ish revs over a period of about 2-3 seconds.

Eventually when car is nice and warm over say about 5 minutes car goes back to standard idle which is approx 750-800revs.

Just wondering why this is revving really high when started after cold???

Problem 2

On a few occasions, after warm if turned off and then restarted it can be a bit hesitant to start. One time i had just started car then went to Morrisions to fuel it, tried to start and was at first not starting. A few minutes later it reluctantly started.

What i really want to know is if any of this could be a cause as a result of something not setup correctly when headgasket was done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys

Taz

I checked the blue and black plug anf both are securily fixed.

Unfortunately whilst driving home last night after work, I started noticing a huge loss off coolant and it was coming from driver side of engine so im not discounting it anymore.

By the time i had got home smoke was coming from engine bay, couldnt make it out properly but it looked like coolant down the side of the block.

also noticed lots of mayo under cap.

??

T

Yes, it has definately been changed. I have seen them take the head off. The new gasket was not originally leaking.

I have dropped the car back of at the garage and the garage reckon i need a metal gasket.

This puzzles me though as i have spoken to Stealth racing who told me you can use a standard gasket for cars upto stage 2. Only cars that are stage 3 approx 290bhp should need a metal gasket spacer.

Spoken to another member who runs a mk2 vr6 sc with stage 2 ze charger and his is running fine with no problems.

Remember mine is only 256bhp and stage 1.

Im so miffed and dont want to put a metal gasket in only for something similar to happen as its more cost.

T

Thanks guys for your continued help on this issue.

So from information ive gathered from here, stealth racing and another forum i dont need any type of special gasket. A normal gasket is upto the job.

Just trying to establish why there is this crack in gasket starting on driver side of the block.

Is this because gasket is not being fitted properly? or not bolts not being tightened correctly or even anything else.

A few people mentioned temp sensor, will this effect the gasket performance in any way?

Thanks guys

T

Sorry to butt in on this thread but is a victor reinz gasket a original standard VW part or an after market equvilent?

As for metal headgaskets on gti-r's you have to make sure that the head and block surfaces are very smooth indeed,i think its something like a 50ra (rough average) finish or something like that or it may not seal properly.

Hello guys,

I went to take some pics of the bits yesterday. I will have these up tonight.

The gasket has split on driver side at the weakest point. I had a look at the block and cylinder head and had a feel to check if there was any sinking. It looked and felt fine but i will add pics of block, gasket and cylinder head later today.

The company that did the head skimming apparantely do this kind of work on daily.

Do you have to use any type of glue/sealant to seal the gasket?

T

Pic s as promised

Gasket

DSC00269.jpg

Gasket sitting on cylinder head

DSC00265.jpg

Cylinder head on side were the gasket has cracked.

DSC00266.jpg

Other areas of cylinder head

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

Bottom end.

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

Cylinder head is smooth and the dip on that side has been sorted since garage had it skimmed.

Im just thinking if i do get the spacer plate and do it this way will i have to get remapped to suit any changes in compression?

The garage insists it needs a spacer plate to run correct. They said they also had a second opinion who said spacer plate needed. Also the guy who has done the gasket did work for Landrover and was doing gaskets on the K-series which are prone to gasket failure so ive no doubt of his abilities.

T

Pete' date=' did your head do the same thing as mine or did it just run poop.

Ive checked the head, looks good and straight to me but how would i tell its not done correctly. do i need to take any measurements etc.

T

[/quote']

You need a straight edge piece of metal and some feeler gauges then hold it flat across the head/block and see what feeler gauges you can get under there,the specs are proberly in the manual.

Measure all across the head and block and look for low spots.

I think the garage is trying a fast one. What ever way you look at it they skimmed and rebuilt the car. If the HG has blown in a short space of time then it's either a cheap crap HG or the skimming, head torque was done incorrectly. Did they use new head bolts??

Either way it's there fault. I would demand they fixed it ASAP and dont pay a penny...

As others have stated you dont need a spacer or any compression reduction with a SC running a stage one 250-260bhp. Stage 1 SC's are a bolt on mod. The standard HG is fine..

Ive already paid as it happened approx 3 weeks after HG was done. What really puzzles me is how the last gasket lasted so long and this one just a few weeks later.

Every single person ive spoken to and bit of information ive read about this so far indicate that no spacer gasket is required. But garage say otherwise.

I might just print this thread out and take it to him.

Thanks guys.

Taz

UPDATE..

I have took details from here to the garage today.

They will be re-ordering a new gasket and having the head sent back to the skimmers to check it over.

The garage have got the engine to bare block at moment. They still recomend using a spacer but says he will re-do how i want it.

What do you guys reckon. Just a standard HG?

T