insurance question

well..me and my dad have been having a debate. Basically my dad is insured on his car and his policy enables him to drive any other car. My take on this usually is that he is insured on any other car as long as the car he wants to drive is insured with somebody else. He disagrees and suggests that he is insured on any car regardless of whether that car is insured on anybody else.

Who's right? do such policies exist, where the policyholder is insured to drive any car on the road as long as it's taxed and mot'd.

i'm with you on this one. Sal is insured to drive mine and vise versa , i tried to tax mine using her insurance as it says to drive any other vehicle with owners consent, but its as you say the other vehicle must be insured. my thought was if she was coverd to use my car we could tax it using her isurance as she would be using it but oh no they wernt having any of it,

OK so this depends on the individual policy.

I can for exampe on my insurance..

I can drive anyones car and i have 3rd party insurance cover. The car you drive must be road legal. No insurance on the car not road legal!

You are not allowed to perform tasks like buy tax disks etc of this level of insurance cover. owner details needed for such tasks

It should defoine this in your Terms documents

I just had the exact same argument with my dad a few days ago over my VR6 and the temporary dawou i was driving...He rang the insurance company to prove me wrong and they told him directly .."you can only drive any other car third party ONLY if the car has a current insurance policy on it"..he didn't like being wrong to much..hahah