Silly boost question

I'm not going to do it, i don't think.. but I've been wondering for a while...

what boost could you run on a completely standard engine. No mods at all! Just turbo, intercooler etc or supercharger.

I dont mean before injectors etc need to be uprated, more along the lines of engine internals.

What systems could you run being standard, what psi and what power estimate??

Feel free to expand topic outwards.. but remain with the standard block and cranks, pistons etc etc..

I personally wouldn't go above 8psi on standard comp with a supercharger, with turbo I'd lower the comp from the start

6psi on a charger will literally plug and play with a remap, more boost or fitting a turbo will need injectors, any F/I needs additional cooling and uprated engine mounts

If using a Rotrex I'd basically follow the same path as a turbo upgrade

so basically you could stick a supercharger on and as long as it's only about 6psi it will run it straight away with a remap.

But say up to 8 psi, new injectors and lots of cooling and new engine mounts.

Would quite like a supercharger just for low down torque.. but prefer the noise of turbo, but i know turbo's need lots more cooling that supercharger.

How much can you pick a supercharger up for without anything else? to fit a VR anyway

if you hunt around £1200 ish on ebay and forums for the lot for a kit like VF engineering,

£420 ish for the remap,

£300 ish for the engine mounts

£130 ish for an oil cooler kit

£20 for a low temp stat

6psi 250-260 bhp

8psi around 280bhp

am i right in thinking that the 6psi is generally stage one, 8+ being stage 2 etc etc

might be a plan, i imagine that with all the parts it'll only take a day to fit etc

are the engine mounts 100% needed.. i know it'll probably ruin them quickly.

How much difference to oil temp will a supercharger make.. if i did it i'd try n get to about 230bhp ish as it's a bit easier on other parts but still quick enough

yep bang on with the stages. If your doing it you may aswell get it done in one hit and properly, so buy up the parts and store them until you have them all becasue the temps will fly up and the torque will eat standard mounts, I had stage one for a year with just the front mount done and 12 months later when I went to stage 2 did the rest, but they needed it becaus ethey were shot by then

i'll be looking into it lots. Just hope somebody buys my polo soon so can pay the money for insurance off, then i can play a bit..

I imagine it gets a bit tight of space with oil cooler etc behind rad, and doesn't the air filter have to be run to passenger side?

Go for it, (if u get the polo sold) and be a happy driver. I would go for the oil cooler, I didnt and my turbo had to go into overhaulin 1 month later :(.

If u are short on money you can drive with stock enginemounts for some time, but save money for them as soon as possible. You feel the difference. . . . . .