Longlife Stainless Exhausts

OK guys I was gonna post this on the premium member section (please don't move it to the company thread untill peole have had chance to read it) but I felt that everyone should be able to benifit from this.

John Chantry had these guys custom make and fit his straight through Stainless and I asked him to put me in touch with them.

After writing them a brief email specifying my requirements a guy called Ian from the Leeds branch wrote back with this:

Hi James,

Many thanks for your enquiry about a Longlife Stainless Steel Exhaust.

My name is Iain, I'm the manager at the newly opened Longlife Centre in Leeds, the nearest Centre to you.

I've got lots of different prices to quote you here, depending on what option you go for.

To begin with, the cost for a custom built T304 back box with a std 2? tail pipe for your Golf VR6 would be £169, fitted and including VAT. We also have another 45 tail pipe designs to choose from, at a moderate extra cost, such as ovals, twin tail-pipes, and letterboxes for example.

I'm not sure what you mean't by 'cat replacement' on your enquiry, so here I'll quote one price for a full system with a de-cat section, and another price for a full system with a replacement cat - hopefully this covers what you had in mind.

A custom built T304 stainless system from the existing down pipe to rear, with a de-cat section, and the same tail pipe as above, would be just £459 including fitting and VAT, and comes with a lifetime guarantee. For a full system with a new cat, we offer two options; a standard cat and system would be £559, or alternatively you could opt for a system with a sports cat for £609. If you retained your existing cat, we could offer a system from your cat-back for £359...

However as we have just opened you will also benefit from our opening offer of £25 discount off the prices for a full system (with or without cats!) if you get your car to us before Christmas!

Hand-building and fitting your back box takes approximately 2 hours; or 3.5 hours for a system, by appointment at our Leeds centre.

When you arrive, before work commences, you will be talked through the system design and fitment. You will also be given a choice of sound, from quiet to sporty, or somewhere in between. We can also ?offer up? a selection of tail pipe designs to your car to help you make your choice.

After our work is completed the exhaust will undergo a thorough 12 point quality check, to make sure it is clean, there are no leaks, and the fit is perfect, it will then be tested for sound. Don't forget our exhausts are guaranteed for life, so you can truly fit it and forget it, unlike other systems built from lower quality 409 stainless.

Please call us on 0113 279 8944 to discuss your requirements further or make an appointment.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

I just couldn't believe he'd gone to so much trouble to reply like that! I really rate good customer service and its really hard to find. I replied to him today and he sent me back a message equaly long also offering a FREE yes FREE cat swapping service for my MOT. How's that for service?!

Now John really rates his stainless exhaust and judging from Sunday it certianly works well (boy does it sound good :P )

Seriously, if anybody is thinking about getting a stainless exhaust, give them a bell. I'm getting mine this weekend! ;)

[ Edited ]

I used the South East London Francise for a straight through section to replace my centre silencer on my Saab a while ago - they were very professional and had some lovely equipment for the job.

I showed up there when they were busy fitting my mates full system including the downpipe to his 900 turbo and they still managed to squeeze me in even though they were under pressure 8)

Dont confuse these guys with cowboys like Powerflow :o

Pete.

Tempted' date=' but, they have no idea of back pressure etc, so maybe some power to be lost?[/quote']

When I got mine done, Tommy and Minty both said the same thing, but I've had no problems, :)

Plus my figures on sunday certainly put my mind at rest, 187 (flywheel) and 188lb ft torque from just the straight through. (my bhp at the wheel was low, granted, but that was more to do with the tracking and tyres I think. :D )

It gives a deep noise inside the car, which some people may find annoying, (I just turn the tunes up :P ) and it burbles away quite nicely as well.

Sounds like a good place to go to me Jay 8)

I'm scared i'm gonna loose power now. Jon' date=' do you reckon I can get them to guarantee that I won't loose power and torque? Cos if I do, I'll want to take it back. Or would I be being stupid?[/quote']

i d say (imo) deff no to getting them to guarantee that you won't loose power and torque.........(not to say you will loose out though)............not all engines respond as well to modd's as other's................i'm like you.... worried about loosing torque with a performance system............if i do go for a new system though.... it will probably be supersprint :)

[ Edited Thu Nov 04 2004, 09:49PM ]

Don't forget these boys are professionals and not to be confused by Power Flow, because they make high quality custom exhaust. trust me, they know what they are doing they will tell you what sort of power gains you'll get from one of their system.

They were really interested to here how my car went on the rollers when it was first built, it was the first R32 exhaust they'd every made with a three box system. As the original R32 has just one large box at the rear, which is not good for good gas flow. They said to me this is what a R32 should should like.

Could i just note, my figures form stealths rollers were incorrect with regards to the torque, there's no way my cars maximum torque is at 3650rmp, probably didn't help with my car trying to jump of their rollers. Plus it gave a loss through the transmission/tyres of 49bhp a more realistic figure would be 39-45bhp.

I'm sure Vince would be the first to admit that his rollers are quite old and not up to the same standard as more modern roller setups.

My car has been on the Rollers at JBS several times which are brand new and state of the art at great cost, they've been giving pretty much the same results for my car every time, which are quite abit different to stealths.

I tell you what would possibly make a difference from the 2 setups, JBS & Stealths clamping point for the car are in a totally different place, Stealth uses the front Toe eye, where as JBS's straps are at the side of the car, this will would possibly hold the car down more and keep the car running straight hense giving better more constant traction and less sidewards movement and stopping the car from lifting of the rollers.

This is only my thoughts. So don't hold me too it.