Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this cable?

Hi guys i have an early VR6 with the distibuter and this morning took off my inlet manifold so i could get to my spark plugs, on putting it back together ive yet again been stumped by a plug that really should be plugged in somewhere but ive no idea where and also looking at the unit that sends the "spark" to the dizzy, the plug that plugs into that looks kinda bodged but had no problem running before.. thing is the wire i cant find a home for has the same fitment as the one that looks a bit dodgy.... i had a crazy thought that something had been done and it had been changed for some reason but ive got no idea..

the wire im holding plugs into the unit that sends the spark to the dizzy, the other......... well i have no idea!!

090326_145348.jpg

090326_145327.jpg

AUX water pump and a sensor in the cam chain cover

Isn't the AUX pump two pin?

On the dizzy model the hall sender is in the dizzy and will be one of them.

there should be a three pin socket on the coil between the HT socket and the bulkhead. The plug which fits this has/should have a fat brown wire.

there is a single earth type wire for the dizzy cap. but you should have another 3 pin socket / plug around that area for the hall sender.

1238092020_2196_FT277632_pict0002_.jpg

not the greatest photo but should give you an idea. I started mine with this disconnected and it did idle but probably wouldn't be smooth under load.

yea nice 1 for that, seems that 1 is fine so who knows what this wire is for, i just hope its not what is stopping my car from running, trying desperately not to take it to a garage as im low on funds tho i will have a vagcom lead soon so hopefully that will give me an insight to the problem (and others lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, how stupid of me.... I now remember my mate sayin when i bought the car that the speed sensor had packed up, now upon reading up on speed sensors most of the info i got was the speed sensors for the abs not the speedo. Turns out this cable i dont have a plug for is for the speedo and the reason there is no plug is cos its snapped off!!