Where can I get a chip to run my charger

Ive got a full VF engineering supercharger kit(Vortech V9-f charger) to go on my mk2 vr but the ecu chip I got with the kit apparently wont work on my ecu, I bought the kit used & the guy had it on his corrado which has a "socketed" plug & play ecu chip.

So where can i get a stage 2 chip in the uk to suit my ecu?

Im assuming a generic type stage 2 chip is usually provided by the kit manf. when initially purchased?

Am I right to think this?

I realise i will most probably need a live map to get the car right but Im also in Scotland so cant just "pop down/over/round" to stealth or storm or whoever & a generic chip would do me until i can get a live map done & I dont have a bottomless pit of money either

Who owns a 1994 mk3 golf vr with this kit on it? who supplied it? who done the ecu?

Mines is an obd1 car with ecu code 021 906 258 BK (4 pin maf & coil pack) & has a soldered eprom chip so no plug & play, so who does these for the people that buy the kits new for an obd1 mk3 vr6?

Does everybody have them "live" mapped straight away?

I dont want a chip "from another car" What im after is a generic stage 2 chip to get me "up & running" so I can THEN take it for a live map @ stealth or the likes, Im 500 miles from stealth & currently have no chip to fit in my ecu so no chance of getting anywhere for a map never mind 500 miles

I realise every engine is different but the likes of VF engineering themselves surely supply a generic type stage 2 chip to get people who buy the full kit off the shelf "up & running" before having a live map done?

i ran without a chip when i put my charger in until i went to stealth....

all i did was keep the standard injectors in and swapped the uprated ones on the day when i got there

you dont get full power but least it ran..

you sure you need a chip? i didnt

Hmmm interesting, that would be ideal if I could do that, I take it you just didnt hammer it until you had the "live map" done then?

Anybody else do the same thing?

cheers

Couple of things here.

Keep the standard injectors and regulator in place. the car will run rich. the car needs usually around 500miles minimum to bed in if new parts are there.

the car will run fine but you need to keep the rpm low less than 3k. The downside of it running rich is that the excess fuel goes into the CAT. So don't leave it for weeks.

VF can issue a chip but to be honest the car will actually run better on a standard map etc.

Once everything is bedded in get if remapped asap. The trip to Stealth or the likes is worth it just for the trip home.

So book your map. fit it a day or two before then run down.

Njoy

Thanks lads, much appreciated

Regards the cat, I dont have/need 1 its a mk2 conversion, will I get flames instead :)

one other thing, is it the diagnostic socket thats used to map the ecu? I only ask because I never fitted it to my last mk2vr6 conversion & have the opportunity to fit it to the present 1, do I need it for mapping purposes?

• 7 months later...

Has anybody got a stage 1 chip 'lying' around that I can borrow or buy for a good price? I never got a chip with my kit but my friend said if I can borrow a chip off someone then he will copy it and program a new chip for my ECU. He remapped my car before I got the charger but can't find much info on what needs adjusting now it's charged.