My VR6 turbo, Haldex 4wd. The end....

Do I spy a set of TT Ronals on there now? Arch rolling tool made from a hub plate' date=' jack and a roller - love it. You are far too clever....

[/quote']

Yes mate, loads more rubber on the road as they are 7.5j, its going to need it when the boost is wound up!

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I spy a set of TT Ronals on there now? Arch rolling tool made from a hub plate' date=' jack and a roller - love it. You are far too clever....

[/quote']

Yes mate, loads more rubber on the road as they are 7.5j, its going to need it when the boost is wound up!

Very underated wheels imo. A bit on the heavy side but a good shape for brake clearance and oem strength.

Been on the car all day.

Finished stripping the doors, finshed the flare on the front arches, almost finished all of the fillering and sanding. Just got a few spots to do on the wings, doors are ready for paint, tailgates ready, need to finish fillering the old aerial hole, old fuel flap is ready.

I'l post some piccys later....

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had a very productive couple of weekends.

Rear arches rolled with a slight flare.

014-4.jpg

013-4.jpg

Doors, wings, boot, rear bumper, spoiler, grill primered.

Picture008.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Masked ready for painting!

016-1.jpg

019-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

018-2.jpg

Primered.

021-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

022-1.jpg

The paints on, but your not seeing it yet! Not till i've put all the millions of bits back together! :-)

Ha ha, i'm cruel aren't i!!!! :-)(6)

Wow Paul :) Fairplay!

My first post on this forum and has to go to this thread! Read every page and has inspired me to say the least!

Just bought a 98' 2.8 VR6 and looking forward to a winter in the workshop :) My last VW project was an ex-AA T4 2.5 TDi which went from 102bhp stock to 186bhp when i'd finished, but your project has blown me away!

Looking forward to seeing the new colour and judging from the for sale section the new wheels too!

This is what forums are all about! Enjoy!

//t0m

Thank you very much!

Until yesterday everything was going to plan.

I went work, turned up on site to do some bits n pieces to some steel work we supplied, nothing major there.

But when drilling a hole in a beam, i sliced my middle finger knuckle open (the 1 on my hand to finger), and also sliced most of the way through the tendon for that finger. It was on the edge of a piece of tin builders use on joists etc.

So, with my writing hand- left hand out of action for up to 6 weeks, this project has come to an abrupt halt. :-(

And yes, its was hard work trying to type this with my 'lesser' hand!

thats wank about the hand mate. just look at it as a big hoilday lol, could have happend in the summer though lol. so if your bore you wont mind me bugging you some more on the o2m convertion :) ??lol

ive just brought me self a o2m :D when i pick it up im also going to try and get gear selctor/ cables, flywheel / clutch , drive shafts and front hubs. can you think of anything else i might need?

can i just get abit more info about how you did it again. You used R32 front hubs? are they the same as the 4 motion ones which id like to use.

did you use the 3mm spacers on both front hubs. how did you make them, and would you fancy making some for me for some £££ please.

same goes for the drive shafts. are R32 drive shafts / CV joints the same lenght as 4 motion ones? will i be ok to use 4 motion ones?

you said you got away with the standard one on the N/S ( so thats just 24v hub, 3mm bearing spacer and that side is sorted)

what did you have to do with the O/S? 24v hub, 3 mm spacer and then get the drive shaft shortand? how did you shortan yours? and can you remember how much you got it shortaned buy

and another one :o when you made your gearbox mount bracket did you install the gearbox and engine in the bay. bolting up the front and rear engine mounts ( then installed the N/S driveshaft???) get the gearbox / engine level with a jack and then build from there? what thickness of steel did you use? did you make any plans

and are you fully loving the 02m, smooth shifts? final drive ratio ok?

sorry for all the questions fella lol hope you don't mind

just had a look at the rest of your build. you've done really well with them archs and the prep. what i nice place to spray a car. do you have any past exsperance in paint?

the new wheels look alot better. look way more up to the job, im sick of my santa monicas.

When you get your gearbox, you need to remember; the bracket that holds the cabels on top of the gearbox, and all of the hydraulic clutch fittings that come out and join the the clutch pipe.

N/S - Yes R32 should be the same as the 4 motion stuff.

O/S - The length of the driveshaft itself, once stripped of both CV's, is 515mm.

Both - I used a 3mm spacer on both hubs.

When i shortened the shaft i turned up a piece of hard steel to fit very tightly inside the shaft tube.

I lined the prop up with the gearbox as well as keeping the engine level ish. I used 3mm mild steel to make the gearbox bracket, that is a copy of the dutchdub part.

It's not too bad when i shift even with my short shift mod. The final drive is Ok but i sometimes find myself searching for 7th gear! :-p

Ive got very little experience with painting but like everyone says its all in the prep. My workshop wasn't the best place to do it because of the dust!

Hope this helps fella :)

Looking good mate really looking forward to seeing it î—

now come on dan.. u dont really think paul would choose white did you? (That was primer..!! lol )

Oh, and Paul, If I can help with the rebuild matey, I got two left hands if thats any good..?

I feel I owe u a favour or three already ;)

Looking good mate really looking forward to seeing it î—

now come on dan.. u dont really think paul would choose white did you? (That was primer..!! lol )

Oh' date=' and Paul, If I can help with the rebuild matey, I got two left hands if thats any good..?

I feel I owe u a favour or three already ;)

[/quote']

Thats a really kind offer, thanks. We'll have to see how this weather is over the next few weekends.

But 2 left hands would be bloody brilliant!! My right hand is crap!!