hey all when i set off this morning i had a squeeling noise which i thought was the brakes being low so decided to go and get new pads as they were low so picked them up on the drive home i was getting weird handling as i went round a roundabout the rear kept feelling like the wheel was folding over underneath the car still no noises apart from the scrapping noise, pulled out to overtake a lorry and there was a big puff off smoke then there was a knocking and grinding noise from the back and could feel it through the car so pulled off the road a mile later and there was smoke coming out of where the bbs cover should be and i can pull the wheel back an forth bout an inch while the car is sat on the ground....

how easy will it be to change myself as i think its to dangerous to move ..ive changed the engine and a clutch and crank seal and both front wishbones already this car is doing ma head in i was going to take the disc to a local enginneering firm to have them pressed out and new ones pressed in ....someone mentioned a hub puller will i need one as i dont have one.

cheers dj.

the rears are really easy. The chances are its already off... :D ... Sorry....

Yeah like you said driving is not the way forwards. GSF with your club discound is the way forwards.

They can be stuburn but I have not heard of anyone having to use pullers. Correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstanding you...

I think there is a how to in the members section if i recall correctly.. (not checked though...)

I would double check the disks are ok as there is a small chance of damage to them, either fragment or heat. It sounds like you stopped in time before anything terminal. But a safety check whilst you're there though couldn't hurt....

may be a chance to upgrade the disks and pads also whilst you're there..

good luck

rear bearings are quite easy since they go into the new disk's and just need taping hone with a die of some kind, i used a large socket equal to the size of the outer ring of the bearings. a few taps after packing em with plenty of grease and wahlah

cheers for the input guys tbh i didnt think they would be to big a job also i now have new discs all ready so guess what im doing 2morow ..im going to replace the both of the back ones 2morow just for piece of mind

dj

i did mine with a hammer a centre punch a piece of cake but you might want to look at the Stub axle as that might also need replacing if there was smoke coming out just from a safety point of view about £25 on ebay

OE leads are more than that if yours need replacing i snap them up anyway

ye cheers guys got the leads on 2day and changed all four wheel bearings new pads front and back . also the stub axles were fine took them to a local engineering place to have them checked they also pressed the new races into the discs then went and had 4 wheel allignment and the difference after all this no more rumbling and pulls so straight now so all in all a good day.. thnx for all the advice it really wasnt that hard after reading things on this site ....

dj