Nurburgring Easter 2010 chat thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was curious really, as when you watch the youtube video's alot of them refer to lap times. I know what you mean about temptation to push but in my experience, driving in a group does that aswell with differing standards and the red mist.

There's a police car and ambulance permanently stationed at the entrance. The police will investigate where necessary. Timing isn't disallowed but is discouraged. I've been queried about my GPS dongle in the windscreen by a marshal at the barrier. When I explained it was for data logging, he let me through. In-car cameras are banned and he thought it might be a device for filming. If you get caught filming, you'll get chucked off the track. As YouTube shows you, people flaunt the rules.

I time myself, simply so I know how fast I'm going. I don't make an attempt to go faster than my previous time - that'd cause me to take risks and ultimately crash. I do learn from my previous laps and that knowledge makes me faster each lap. The faster laps are a consequence of learning and of reduced traffic. If you chase a lap time, you'll crash. Also, there's so much traffic there that you'll probably gain more from a quiet lap than you going quicker. Last Easter, it was so busy that I didn't manage to dip under 10 minutes. The car's probably capable of mid-low 9s.

Convoys don't work there because someone is always fastest, someone always slowest and everyone else in the middle! We've tried to keep cars together before but there's always 5 minutes separating them at the end.

The iPhone has a crappy GPS, so the data you get from it will be of poor quality. The chances of getting a signal for more than half the lap with an internal GPS are pretty slim. Your best bet is to find an old PDA or phone for £40-50 (or a new one for £100, buy a 5Hz GPS dongle for £50 and job jobbed! When the imminent RaceLogger comes out, it'll provide lots more data.

racechrono is very good , pop gps on dash ,phone in glovebox check data and lap time later at end of day. you can see speeds at all points as graph ,to see where you lose or gained time also does a best lap by putting all best sector time together, i use an old nokia 7610 to run it and bluetooth tom tom gps

http://www.racechrono.com/

Bluetooth Tom Tom GPS for the iPhone isn't very good for RaceChrono. It's still a 1Hz unit, which means it only updates your speed/position once a second. Think about how far you travel in a second at 120mph on the way down to Aremburg. It's over 50 metres. It's not worth the effort, IMO, to use a cheap GPS. I have logs from a 1Hz GPS in my N95, a 1Hz Bluetooth GPS and a 5Hz Bluetooth GPS. The 5Hz unit is incredible for accuracy. I'd get a Qstarz BT818X every time. £100 gets you a phone and a decent GPS, which is brilliant value for a data logging. Those of you with OBD can get RPM and sensor data with a Bluetooth OBD dongle.

Hi guys, letting you know I am still in for this!! Just an MOT and an ABS pump standing in my way. No tickets booked as yet, will leave it to nearer the time, last year had it all sorted way in advance then forgot one crucial thing which messed the whole trip up for me!!! Going to take the Chunnel, not the boat. Not long to go now!!!!!

Hi guys' date=' letting you know I am still in for this!! Just an MOT and an ABS pump standing in my way. No tickets booked as yet, will leave it to nearer the time, last year had it all sorted way in advance then forgot one crucial thing which messed the whole trip up for me!!! Going to take the Chunnel, not the boat. Not long to go now!!!!!

[/quote']

Yep make sure you know where passport is......i felt sorry for you last year