lets talk diffs.....

right, im gonna be building a new gearbox for my vr, and i might kno someone else after one too......has anyone got an uprated diff? being fwd im thinking ATB not LSD.....any idea on makes/prices blah blah blah....

• 4 months later...

quaife, peloquin (which i use) or there is a cheaper one from usa called obx , its the vr6 obxr , they have them on ebay for around £299, not saying good or bad but i ran 440bhp through it and the gears broke and the obx was fine and sold on. i got a strenghtened box with a peloquin fitted since and thats fine too.

thanks for replies! i really do want an atb over lsd, but that said ive never driven a fwd with an lsd....

think im gonna have to wait a bit now anyways...lack of cash and really need to do the chains and full service....tho im gonna keep an eye out cos i really REALLY wanna turbo it one day!

right, ive been repairing gearboxes for 3 years now and have learned nothing about diffs lol! everything i kno is from back in the day when i was a ford boy, making my xr2 to a turbo....

never driven an LSD, but ive been told they are more prone to torque steer and and when one wheel starts to slip the friction is increased and gradualy locks the wheels together. they work off a series clutches/plates/discs within, which when new are tight and take time to bed in, and will (eventually) wear and u'll need a new one........

atb (automatic torque biasing) basically, sends the torque to the wheel with the most traction. i.e if u boot it in a left hand bend (it helped me to imagine this in my head lol, acting it out infront of the laptop!) normally the nearside wheel will spin up, the atb will stop this by sending more of the torque to the offside wheel, effectivally pushing u into the bend and helping u round faster. obviously sending the power to the grippiest wheel will help off the line too! plus it uses worm gears and doesnt wear like clutch types, and they never fully lock.....

i never got round to fitting an atb in my fezzy cos it melted a piston before i had a chance :S but my mate had a racing puma and a focus rs, both with quaifes, driving them felt like 4wd dragging u round the bend! hope ive explained wots in my head, cant seem to write it down how im thinking it lol!

hmmmmm doing a bit of research on this OBX helical diff.....reviews so far seem ok.......might ask farther christmas for one! and if all goes well i will be selling rebuilt boxes with atbs lol!

while flicking thru the forums i saw some guy modding his honda vtec jus to keep up with his mates car...

''Also, did anyone read what I said in the second post on this thread?

Trying to get this car quick. Hoping to keep up with my buddies VR6 GTI''

hahaha! :-p

right' date=' ive been repairing gearboxes for 3 years now and have learned nothing about diffs lol! everything i kno is from back in the day when i was a ford boy, making my xr2 to a turbo....

never driven an LSD, but ive been told they are more prone to torque steer and and when one wheel starts to slip the friction is increased and gradualy locks the wheels together. they work off a series clutches/plates/discs within, which when new are tight and take time to bed in, and will (eventually) wear and u'll need a new one........

atb (automatic torque biasing) basically, sends the torque to the wheel with the most traction. i.e if u boot it in a [b']left hand bend (it helped me to imagine this in my head lol, acting it out infront of the laptop!) normally the nearside wheel will spin up, the atb will stop this by sending more of the torque to the offside wheel, effectivally pushing u into the bend and helping u round faster. obviously sending the power to the grippiest wheel will help off the line too! plus it uses worm gears and doesnt wear like clutch types, and they never fully lock.....

i never got round to fitting an atb in my fezzy cos it melted a piston before i had a chance :S but my mate had a racing puma and a focus rs, both with quaifes, driving them felt like 4wd dragging u round the bend! hope ive explained wots in my head, cant seem to write it down how im thinking it lol!

That is useful to know when l start to look for some, cheers dude