golf vr6 help auxiliary drive belt.

hi.

i am in process of buying a golf vr6 m reg auto, was told the auxiliary drive belt broke, car overheated and may have damaged heater matrix, car was picked up by the a.a, towed home by previous owner, he is saying it only needs a new tensioner and aux drive belt! is this the case, is it worth buying the car or shall i be advised to stay clear of this one? want some advise as i really like the car and wanted to do the job myself.

any advise appreciated asap.

thankyou.

Mate, aux belt cost less than you think.

If it were me, I'd be wandering why he's selling it off with less than a 30 pound repair.....exc heater matrix.

He would have realised the alternator wasn't charging....battery/lights drained/dimmed. Radio stops working ect.

Heater matrix damage would be rare in that sort of situation.

Sounds to me like a very expensive problem has occured and he's trying to flog it off for profit.

If you go back, check engine running, wet footwells (damaged heater Matrix...unlikely), mayonase on underside of engine oil filler cap...just the basics

Or take somebody that DOES know about cars to go with you. (I once had a friend that claimed to be a big car modifyer...told me on my car that the alternator was a turbo!!).

OR the other option is to walk away, keep your money and go for one that runs mate. No point in shelling out less for a car that will cost more.

Always VR6's up for grabs about.

The highlighted option is the route I'd take mate. Look for a better, non problematic VR6