moaning forums

Just been on a diy forum trying to sort out a boierl issue and all i have got is people abusing me saying i have to be gas safe and so on. I do under stand all of this but i would hope if a novice had a queary and tryed to do a bit of ground work so they didnt get bent over by a garage we would be morw understanding. There had my sunday rant people are always brave when they are talking over the net bring on face to face.

It's not uncommon for sparkies and plumbers alike to moan and put people off tinkering! We see it week in and out where clients couldn't wait and often cause more problems. (not saying thats what u would have done!) the big issue with these sorts of trades is there are associations, affiliations and qualifications that cost the sel employe trader a small fortune every year to enrol with. These are put in place to make sure that competent engineers only should be working on them. Most of them get put out when builders and handy men make repairs to an unsafe or non standard level. I presume that is why they have only replied in a negative point of view.. Also from an insurance perspective they have a 'duty of care' that means they cannot be seen to advise any form of self repair or investigation or liability could pass over to themselves without even working on it! Only my 2 Pence worth :)

I agree with that as electrian my self and would never advice a complete novice to start messing around with 230v but I think there are ways of advicing people to seek a tradesmen, not just abusing them straight away. I also fully under stand we live in a culture of disclamers.

Totally agree fella, there's a way of talking to people and rudeness doesn't cut it.. :)

I had an issue with my boiler a few years ago, and was trying to diagnose the fault to enable my plumber to obtain the correct parts saving time and money, and I'm sure it Was that site I has problems with. There are some usefull ones out there tho ;)

Thank you!

Boiler was installed by builders 3 years ago and all corgi passed, but have fallen out with them so don't want them back.

In the last couple of months, the hot water has been fluctuating from hot to tepid and at the same time the flame rises and falls by a noticeable amount. I've reduced the flow rate but that hasn't helped. Someone has told me it might be the plate heat exchanger, which I believe can be cleaned easily, or possibly the air pressure switch.

I understand that it's unsafe to start working on gas myself but would like to know what the problem could be so that if I call a plumber out, I know what they're talking about and don't taken for a ride.

Thank you for any help you can give.

yeh it wont actualy be on the exchanger it will be on the pipe going out of it.couldent tell you the resisance bridge'ing it is ok for a minute or two while you test and see if its the problem.alternitively you could just replace the sensor and see if that fixes it but its a expensive way of diagnosing a problem.

Right a update fingers crossed, think it may be fixed, water was hotter than it's ever been after alot of cleaning of the plate heat exchanger yesterday. So that meens my weekend is going to consist of hosing out all my rads and cleaning my heating system. Thanks you guys for all the help god bless Vw owners lol and hope there is some way I can return the help.