maybe its a UK thing

So there are Gti's that come with 4motion, I thought it was just on the r32. maybe that is a UK thing and never came to america cuz iv never seen or heard of 4motion on a GTI.

I had an audi quattro and i loved how it handled so i could only imagine how nice it would be to have allwheel drive in a Gti. Is there a good site for that, where i can get parts for a swap?

you guys in the states call it a mk 4 vr6

nop they have a 180hp vr6 vith variabel intake,thats frontwheel driven

an no the golf 6 gti is only front wheel driven also, but the r20 has 4motion

the scirocco R is only front wheel driven;)

so whats all this 4motion talk i see on the forums? Is this a common swap that people do on thier GTI's.... or am i missing something

Most of 'us' are missing that the VR6 was called a GTi in the States rather than the 2L / 1.8T GTi we have in Europe.

But yeah, I don't think the 4motion was available in the States. Instead you got the R32 early.

So in summary the gti (some times GLX) is available with the VR6 engines from the mk3 onwards Standard was/is FWD. In the US. My understanding is the car was available but super rare with the 4WD systems in from mk4 onwards. Yes the R32 was available and yes it has 4WD or 4motion fitted. I have seen US cars with Syncro on them. So maybe this is still used....I don't know...???

In Europe there were cars available mk3 known as syncro which have 4WD.

From Mk4 onwards the VW 4WD system was known as the 4Motion system and of course used on the VAG group cars Skoda etc.. In the UK we got a mk4 4motion which has the 2.8litre (24valve) and then the (mk4 onwards) R32 which has a 3.2litre (24v) 4Motion. In addition to that we have access to the Diesel cars with 4motion fitted aswell.

Whilst we standardise on golfs in this thread Bora/passat etc have it aswell on certain models. (Bora may be Jetta in USA...)

I think the 4WD name changed in the UK as they moved from one type of 4WD system to another... Maybe Torson Diff to Haldex but someone else will know that better than I...

Thank u RCF for the summary cuz to be honest i was getting lost.

But yea i just thought that 4Motion never came on the us versions of the golf/gti except on the R32. Becuase i have a MK4 GTI VR6(24v) with a 6 Speed but...... Its FWD.

And yes the Bora is called Jetta in the states, and a little fyi the Passat was actually the first vw to come with 4Motion in the states

So now my question is how hard is the Swap? What do i need and where can i get it?