• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man after driving the VR on sunday its so much more involving than the A3, in that it really just drives to your destination, in the VR you do a whole lot more driving, its much more fun. Old skool.

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I ch

Yes mostly expensive downs, look on the bright side, when you've replaced everything it'll be pretty much a brand new car as a sum of it's parts, then hopefully a good few years of trouble free (ish)

I've got the full set of new ones anyway so as nothing has happened it doesn't matter anyway.

Where there are only supposed to be 2 pieces, there are many, look at the only very feint chain runner marks, if these are original after 100k that's impressive, looks like (as long as it doesn't smash) it would last like a million miles.

IMG_0570_zps8aa514dd.jpg

Got the head off and wasn't as mucky as many I have seen on the internet, think I'm going to leave the crowns alone as they don't have much on at all and think the risks of getting carbon down the rings or bores outweighs what looks like would be no benefit.

IMG_0566_zpsd533a026.jpg

The classic failure point

IMG_0567_zpsf6d71f7f.jpg

Started seeping at the gasket ports

IMG_0572_zpsc6ddb495.jpg

After many hours with brake cleaner, many kitchen rolls, an old loyalty card and delicate use of a razor blade, a clean head. The gearbox is good and clean now too.

IMG_0574_zps2f0ab0cc.jpg

Ha it doesn't feel like it, I'm gonna do the chains etc get the 2 chain covers cleaned and ready to to go straight on next.

The head bolts, while not being a complete walk in the park to tighten up, it wasn't as hard as people on forums made out to get the final quarter turn on.

But I did brush the underside of between the bolt heads and washers with literally 1 little drop of oil to ensure they didnt bind when turning, the threads were dry i must point out, and was using a 3 foot breaker bar so prob just had good leverage. And I had also properly cleaned and dried out the threads of all debris.

It was really tough to get the old ones off compared to torquing the new ones up though and I've been paranoid I haven't done them tight enough, but did them up to book spec so am also wary that any tighter and they'll be over tight.

Incidentally, I have found an important detail the bentley manual has overlooked, with 3 different bolt lengths it doesnt say anywhere what bolts go where, while by the positions etc you could do it but still, someone could do it wrong.

IMG_0579_zps58d5ffe5.jpg

It stopped raining after forever so I got the new chains and guides on

IMG_0582_zps8a77fa84.jpg

After checking the timing marks and positions about 9 times I torqued up the intermediate sprockets but the crank kept moving even with a bar on the pulley, so I got a bit inventive

IMG_0581_zpsf7aff39f.jpg

Front path crank seal replacement only takes these bits, plus a screwdriver and hammer, the new one is a nice much tighter fit

IMG_0584_zpsbfad97d9.jpg

Covers all sealed and the tensioner bolt installed, then hand wound twice more to be certain.

IMG_0583_zpsf50fae52.jpg

While waiting for it to stop raining I re-did the PAS pulley and accessory bracket.

IMG_0585_zpsb681a029.jpg

Fingers crossed it all works first time when it's all re-assembled lol!

I got the clutch on today, took a fair while longer than I thought it would as I couldn't get all the dowels to line up with the pressure plate, got there in the end though, the fly wheel bolts were harder to put the final 1/4 turn on than the head bolts were!

IMG_0586_zps549720bc.jpg

Fitted the new fuel filter, the old one was minging and the petrol that came out of it was murky brown, it was cleaner going in! Lifetime item my arse!

IMG_0588_zps99fcbb74.jpg

And my injectors came back from Mr Injector, they look like new but haven't taken them out of their packaging yet so they stay good and clean till fitted, I didn't get him to paint them I'll do it myself.

Here's the report for them, not a massive improvement so they weren't in too bad shape, but they are 16 years old and now they are perfectly matched.

IMG_0589_zpsb7791558.jpg