Picking up a VR6 tomorrow :)

I'm going to view and hopefully buy my first mk3 VR6 tomorrow evening (if its as described). Its a 97 3dr with 114k with a few mods and ive got it for just under 2k. It has got a bit of surface rust around the arches, but what mk3 hasnt.

Near enough a 4 hour drive down south. The time isnt great (around 8pm, but atleast its not dark at that time), but its the only time i'm free to meet. Meeting at a well lit service station, so it gives me enough light to look around the car, check it out first and then take it for a drive.

Its going to be quite a step from a 1.2 polo :)

Good luck fella... not ideal situtation to be viewing and potentially buying anycar but you sound like you've done your home work so hope it works out for ya !!! Price does sounds steep though.... i paid under 1k from a mate for a 90k M reg VR6 2 yrs ago...

Ive been watching mk3 VR6s for a few months now and its hard finding a manual 3door mk3 VR6 thats has decent miles, not rotten and not dragon green. I been after a late mk3 vr6 with the OBD2 engine. But with the mods it has (koingsport coilies, colour concept leathers, 6 branch decat system, chip etc....) I think its a good price.

I want to check around for any other rust that might have not been mentioned, sills, in the boot for water leaking, rattles from the engine, smoke and electrics. By the time we meet up it shouldnt be too dark. So im hoping it wil be ok. The guy sounds genuine and he is travelling quite a distance to meet us. But we've done it on the basis as it is as described, so it allows me to check it over.

Ideally I would of prefered to do it during the day, but with my work and his work it wasnt an option. So ive had to make the best out of it. Im taking my dad with me, so he can help me check it over. Hes bought quite a few cars, so he knows what to look for and wouldnt let me buy something that wasnt worth it.

Ive been sent photos of it, but photos dont really pick up on everything, they just give a general idea but it does look clean in the photos.

DSC03420.jpg

The plan is to get it into bodyshop as soon as possible while I still have the polo to drive around in. Get the vento front fitted (which is sat in my mates house) and get the arches rolled and the rust sorted. If I can source them in time I would love a US plate tub and running lights, but I cant seem to find any. But all this depends if my mate has time, cos his unit it quite busy atm. But he does awesome work.

Not really.

The sills will be viewable but likelyhood of crushed sills from people using everywhere BUT the jacking points is common.

Another area that is covered is the very bottom of the front wing, covered by the plastic sill covers and that can go mighty rotten but still look fine with the plastics intact.

Well I bought my first VR. Sills were fine, he gave me a replacement divers wing cos that was the worst. The other arches have rust but it can be sorted.

Its very loud! I want it quieter, both inside and outside the car. But the noise is amazing.

Had a steady drive back and the computer read 38mpg, not bad.

Having a bit of a problem with the indicators though, but I might be becasue the front passenger side is out. But the left arrow on the dash lights up (doesnt flash) every now and then and when I hit the foot brake? Any ideas?

With the lights, we took the rear lights out and re-fitted them and it sorted itt out, so probs a dodgy connection? I need a new connector for the front indicator, which im getting tomorrow.

I can tell already fuel bills are goin to be expensive. I just £35 in this afternoon and we'll see how far it gets me. Clock is reading 17.8mpg atm :S but that is around town, which I can tell already it doesnt like to do.

Who is driving a Vr6 daily? and what mpg you getting?

If ive got time tomorrow ill get it washed, cleansed and waxed. Clar bay will have to wait till later.

£70 on 80 miles :o

I cant be having that I do about 300miles a week atm! (majority is motorway though)

As I say though, waiting on new lambda turning up soon. Should go back to high 20's on motorways and low 20's/high teens in cities.

Craig, you fill up with engine oil everytime you fill up with petrol though ;)

My car does between 18 - 20 mpg if I drive as fast as I can around town, If I drive a little bit more sensible then I get between 20 and 25 mpg. My average long term counter says 24 mpg. If I stick to 5th gear around town (I can go down to 15 mph in 5th, and still accelerate as fast as any one else) I can get 28 - 32 mpg, If I drive around town in 5th gear and never go past 2 thousand revs, I can get 38 mpg.

I have only tried the car on one long motorway journey. I drove to Scotland from Milton Keynes at between 80mph and 100mph all the way and I got 30 mpg. I'm sure that would go up to 40 mpg if I stuck to 60mph.