Hi,

Having just brought my VR6 Golf (auto) from one of the members on here, I have found that there is smell of oil in cabin. On further inspection I could see a collection of oil behind the engine block just to the right of where the exhaust gases go out into the exhaust system (I can take a photo later if needed) I have moped it up the best I could and if I'm been generous then that could be down to someone being heavy handed when filling the oil up and overshooting it.

Looking closely at the engine block there does seem to be a slight leakage of oil from the gasket on the left side of the engine (just above where the grooved belts (alternator etc) are.... I assume this is the head gasket, is a small leakage from here normal or does the head gasket need doing? If it does, how much should I be expecting from an independent? If not could anyone suggest anything else to look for and likely causes of the smell? There doesn't appear to be any white deposits on the oil filler cap and it doesn't smoke once warmed up..... As stated I'm a newbie to VR6's so excuse my igronance.......

Thanks

Ian *-)

Hi and welcome.

As you say it could be bad aim when topping up oil or the rocker cover gasket has failed. Not too difficult a job to replace. Wait to see if the oil returns

oil weeping from the HG near the air filter is not uncommon and nothing to be immediately concerned about.

At that end of the engine there is there should be a breather pipe back to the air intake with an oil trap. These are a bit fragile and can crack leading to escaping oil fumes. Or get replaced with 'Redbull' oil catchers.

Update - Oil has returned!! And more worringly after a very short blast to the local shop there was smoke coming from the exhaust bit (the bit where the manifold (i think that's what it's called) goes into the rest of the exhaust system), now I'm seriously worried it's going to catch fire whilst driving it home (~10 miles)..... do you think this is a) likely and B) cuased by the rocker cover?? thanks ....... :-|

your rocker cover is under the manifold, you will see the ends of it to the left and right of the manifold, more than likely a dull metal colour (on earlier VR's) or black plastic on later VR's... the gasket will be between the cover and the head, run your finger along the gasket see if there's any oil, it has to be dripping down, it could also perhaps could be coming from the chain tensioner bolt or timing chain cover...

Thanks for the comments, and i did get home without BBQ'ing myself last night.... I think the leak is definitely lower down in the engine and hopefully the linked video should show this.....

Oil leak video

I also took some images....

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4556718719_d82ce32558.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4064/4557348094_28c41c9c9a.jpg

If the leak is low, what is it likely to be??

Glad you didnt BBQ yourself! Looking at the photos and video its not exactly clear where the oil is coming from i'm afraid. can you get your car on any ramps to view from underneath perhaps?

As I say, the only thing I can think of over that way is the chain tensioner bolt, and timing chain cover leaking...

Okay well thanks, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet (and find some cash) and take it to our local garage (who is actually very good and not some cowboy outfit).... I'll tell him to check that as a first port of call, I was worried it might be something fatal like a crack in the engine block or something like that.... but from the sounds of what you are saying that is (hopefully) unlikely..... I'll let you know how i get on..... I don't have any ramps but I do have axle stands, however I could probably spend hours poking around and still have no joy as I'm no mechanic..... At standstill and reving the engine there was no sign of oil dripping from anywhere that you could see from above, so I'm thinking is could be something to do with the tranmission etc and it only leaks when in gear? would that tie up with your suggestions??

NO i don't think it's gearbox oil as its not that pngent smell, also it's an auto... but it doesn't look red at all, so it's not ATF, but was wondering if it any of the other sort of moving parts that don't move when your stationary.... would movement effect the timing chain cover and/or tensioner bolt?? like i said, I'm not much of a mechanic so please excuse me if my questions sound a bit thick!!!

Update - have taken it to the mechanics who thinks it's anti-freeze and not oil... (i did say i wasn't much of a mechanic) and has found where it is leaking from... all free of charge as well, so happy days!! He said that he reckoned you'd only get the part from a VW dealer but before i get online and check i need to know what the pipe is called.... so.. can anyone help me name this part....

or click here

if you can't see or click on the above it's the hose that has a connector to another hose and the connector is where it is split... directly above where the exhaust goes out of the engine bay... hence the smoke the other day!! just need to know what it's called now!!

It's quite common. Your man is right VW only for specific hoses. I'm sure someone with EKTA will supply a part number. You can also buy a aluminium joint if the pipe has split there and there is enough good pipe to cut back. Or else Samco do entire hose replacement kits. Rally Design seem to be the cheapest.