Whats the best way of checking the stem seals? Head off valve springs off and pop the valve out slightly? How much play is exceptable?

I can guarantee if your engine has done over 80k your exhaust valve guides will need replacing.

Your best off doing valve guides and seals, headgasket and skim. Job done.

Talking about 500 quid for a head overhaul and will fix around 75% of oil consumption / blue smoke issues.

Club Chairman

I can guarantee if your engine has done over 80k your exhaust valve guides will need replacing.

Your best off doing valve guides and seals, headgasket and skim. Job done.

Talking about 500 quid for a head overhaul and will fix around 75% of oil consumption / blue smoke issues.

Club Chairman

Ive got the head off, all the guides are fubard the engines done 150,000 miles. Spoke to vince at stelth and he pointed me in the right direction of a good set of guides, problam is im in essex so im going to use my local engine builders. Went to my local engineering shop and they have confirmed just the guides need doing and they said that the guide im using are a very good spec. Cheers vince! Ill be down soon for my map when the chargers on.

Ive got the head off, all the guides are fubard the engines done 150,000 miles. Spoke to vince at stelth and he pointed me in the right direction of a good set of guides, problam is im in essex so im going to use my local engine builders. Went to my local engineering shop and they have confirmed just the guides need doing and they said that the guide im using are a very good spec. Cheers vince! Ill be down soon for my map when the chargers on.

Vince is a top bloke. Stealth are building me a new head and block, had other engines built in the past and highly recommended.

Club Chairman

Hah indeed. It originally went in for head but the block is pretty terminal after 120k

post-81920-140213335893_thumb.jpg

Got cams and 3.68 FD already so just after a good stock engine so I have options to boost it later down the line, I'd love to have had wossner pistons again but just can't afford at the moment

Club Chairman

Problem is the engines on the stand atm and the heads off. Looking at the bores they have a lip on them, but that sounds common on these high milage vr's but no score marks. Think I will just bang the chains on and head on and build a bottom end up at a later date. I have more fun things to think about like putting my cams in and saving for my supercharger