• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After several years of tinkering with the ABS system because the light kept coming on, the whole system needs replacing on my car. Not worth it at the price quoted. Anyone know how to get the parts cheap? I'm told this is a frequent problem on VR6's. true?

fyi i had an abs problem when I got the car and took it to local garage who said it was the sensor. got a sensor and swapped it over and the light was still on. then took it into volkswagen garage and they said the wires were rubbing against the driveshaft thus the signal wasnt getting from a to b apparently. they fixed the wires and voila no more light on.

funnily enough tho recently my airbag light, which was always on as i have an aftermarket wheel, suddenly goes off now after starting the car woohoo

If you get a rear sensor fault and changing the sensor doesnt clear it, under the rear seats is where they plug in swap the plugs from left to right if the fault still says the same side then its your ecu if the fault swaps it is more than likely the sensor. This is for obd2 cars only as the ecu is sepearte on earlier cars

• 3 weeks later...

Abs light will reset once fixed above a certain speed

I had several abs faults and each time it was a chaffed sensor cable

I changed a sensor on my Mk3 Gti. As you say it reset after a while, but I was told the car had to fire up several times before it reset. Now I have to sort out Abs on my VR. the light is staying on. I may be able to pinch a sensor off my Gti, depends which one it is I suppose. Does anyone know if they are interchangeable?