Just about to upgrade sound system , im gonna get a couple of sets of component speakers for front and rears , couple of questions :

1, is it worth upgrading the speaker wires , and do they just thread through the rubber thing in the door ?

2 , what components do people recommend probably gonna run a small amp eventually but will be of head unit for now ? `

Mate I replaced mine a few months ago and i found the easiest was is to use the existing wires and loom (no need to try and drill holes in the door, it's a b****!) And depending on the size of your crossovers they should just sit nicelt in the dash under the tweeters.

You will find the the speaker output from you stereo goes to your tweeter in your dash then another lead comes from your tweeters to your door speakers and thefore perfect place to put the crossover.

I went for some Alpine R Type components as i just wanted some decent sound like you get in most new cars.

Got great clarity but found i still had to run a small sub with a very small amp just for some low mellow bass.

If you are after bass from your door speakers i think you will find it very hard to achieve.

will add a sub eventually going fir 2 sets of copmponents 10 inch sub and a 5 channrel amp, not to mental just want clarity, have been looking at the alpine r tyoe they seem quite good for the price , are your compononts amped pr just sub ? and what head unit you got ?

I have one pair of Alpine comps to the front running straight from the head unit and nothing to the rear disconnected them as you wont really benefit from them but give it a go play with the fader to see the benefits for yourself.

I have a Alpine IDAX100 ipod unit (I think) or something similar.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140436709539&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

i have these in the back and alpine upgrades in the front with a 12" sub in the boot running of a GENESIS 5 channel amp sounds very good SQ not SPL but will get another genesis monoblock when i do my boot build to run the sub even better