i've owned my Bora 4motion since february and it has made a knocking noise from the front ever since the initial test drive (i got money off because of it) so, since february i've changed the ARB's for H&R jobbies all round, new top mounts when i fitted coilovers and this still didn't cure the knocking.so today i fitted new droplinks but i can't tell if this has helped because i've discovered that both front wheel bearings are knackered! there is MASSIVE play when the car is jacked up and the wheel is wobbled from top to bottom.

my question is this...... are the front bearings best left to a mechanic and what sort of labour bill would i be looking at to do both sides?

cheers, karl

i returned to the car this morning after having a think over a cuppa. as the car wasn't making any noise when i drove it i didn't think the bearing had gone..... especially on both sides. i checked the nut on both hubs and they were both loose!!! so i've done them both up b'stard tight (that is the technical term) and there is now no wheel wobble and with the new droplinks there is no knocking too.