engine info needed

Hi guys, i duno if im at the right placeto be asking this but i needed some info. Iv been looking around to buy a vr as i hav always wanted one, but ever now i and then i come across adds that confuse me a bit, some guys say they are quik cars and this and that, but then there are guys that say that the vr is lazy and sluggish.... that leaves me wondering, now its not something that will influence my decision i would just like to know the truth behind it. some one also said to me that their gearboxes are also sluggish... can any one clarify... i read an add the other day and the person said he has had the head ported and polished, and added schrick cams and it is no longer the sluggish vr that he once new so im confused lil help please thanks..

fernando

standard manual VR6 does 0-60 in about 7.4 tops out about 140-150 its not the quickest car out there but was quick for its era lots of torque so if you want to be lazy you dont need to be constantly changing gear like most fords

standing 1/4 mile about 15 seconds

its the sound of it that will keep you smiling

im sure a car with port and polished head and wilder cams will make the car seem as though it was sluggish before maybe someone from around your neck of the woods will offer you a ride or if you can get along to a local meet there is one in Essex next saturday

oh yes i love the sound its what attracted me in the first place.. i suppose it comes down to pppl personel oppinions in the end... ya it does have great torque, my neck of the woods is ireland my friend, so im a bit off from there, and there arnt many vr's here so il have to make a plan. but thanx for ur help...

VR6s have tall gearing which does make them feel sluggish low down in the revs. That is easily, although not cheaply, fixed with a shorter final drive.

It's only the worn and knackered shift cables etc that cause a rubbish gearshift, but the main reason the shifts can't be rushed is due to excess engine movement and the fickle O2A shift tower. The shift can be massively improved by fitting the very latest 02J shifter from the Polo GTI (mk7).

hahaha no worries.. but its enfield ireland! as for lukey, i see wot ur sayin, wot do u mean u have to be positive with shifts?? wot can be done to make it more nippy? nothing extreme jus small things make it a lil more responsive, no wot i mean. like i said b4 one guy polished and ported and cammed it, n he says it feels new, do these proper induction kits n exhaust systems help at all? or is that more for the sound?? i once heard sumthing from sum1.. lol u knw those stories, but he said that there is a different gear box that can be fitted that makes it also a bit different any ideas??

Personally I have upgraded from a MK3 gti 16v to a VR6 so i am making a comparison from a 4 cyl hot hatch to a big engined cruiser.

The best way to describe it is, in a smaller engine hot hatchback, you are constantly revving the engine to get past, the engine is making noise, frantic shifting etc... makes for an atmosphere when you are driving the car.

A mk3 16v GTI which makes 134 ft/lb torque - this isnt available until the high end of the rev range. On a VR this type of torque is available alot lower in the rev range. I actually do think they are a fast car. Mine was standard and with the recent addition of an induction kit, its has changed the characteristics of the car. I think the VR'S driveability is the main thing, which alot of VR drivers love. Its an easy drive when you want it to be, or let the revs build and the gears shift and you can feel the urge. There isnt much in them in first and second gear, get it into third from a standstill and it will shift. Secondly when you are in third and fourth driving at local speeds, the gradual buildup of torque is an amazing feeling.

I started a thread here last week called VR6 Reputation which sort of asked the same question as you are asking. You may want to have a look at it.

All in all, I wouldnt say they are the fastest and I wouldnt say they are the slowest. Theres enough in to to compete with some exotic machinery. Best thing to do is see if you can go for a ride in one...

as kevhaywire said with regards to the gearbox, the shift tower on the 02A box cant be rushed through with a fast shift like on say focus ST which i know has super quick and short shifting and you can just slam it in

I have seen the info on modifying the shifter with 02J in the past but it seemed like a lot of work and didnt look cheap or quick to implement. But the info i read was to do with the mk4 box which has different cables etc people were saying they had to install the whole mk4 gear linkages or if not there was a fair bit of modification required, is the new polo GTI different?

My missus has a Polo GTI and it has the best shift I've felt of any MK4 platform car and the best 1.8T mapping of them all too.

At some point I will take the airbox off it and see which bits need to transfer across to the Corrado / MK3 02A.

You can do full bore 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifting in that, which has mega soft mounts, just slots in with no resistance.