No catch tank or PCV valve?

I was wondering around edition have a little nosey around a few peoples engine bays and noticed alot of the VRs had the valve blocked off and had a long people coming out where the valve should be connected to. The pipe was ran round the back of the engine and pointing straight to the ground and not into a catch tank. Whats the pro and cons with this?

The valve had broke on my VR so the garage fitted a temp catch tank. I can get one made with a 19mm inlet but its £50 then the price for the filter which goes on top.

Thanks

I was talking to a few friends about this again the other night and they were saying that if you get rid of the valve and just re-join it, all the crap will either get burnt off as it goes back round, or start to clog up the throttle body. So in theory having it just venting out is the better option. They right?

• 2 months later...

just get a catch tank of ebay and a piece of silicone pipe or just have a breather attached straight to the outlet or as you say run a piece of pipe from there and drop it out the back of the engine, me personally I was running a catch tank but then I liked the look and didnt like the idea of oil dropping out the back

i was told the inlets have to e 19mm due to pressure and to buy on1 with with inlets. 1 for the pipe to join from the engine and the other to take the fumes back to the intake.

but I was talking to trix and viw28 at edition and they just had a really long pipe that just went straight to the ground due to it just being vapour.

19mm is the size, loads of vws use 19mm, but ive been running 19mm tubing to a £10 15mm greddy replica tank for like 8 months after my stock valve snapped in 2, i have the pipe coming off the tank recirc-ing back into the stock recirc location and the vac hose to the stock valve blanked off, i did run it with a little breather but got light headed in the car lol.

getting a 19mm will be hard to find and cost a fair bit, like this http://www.saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm

• 1 month later...

Hmm that's what I was thinking. Atm I've just got a long pipe that goes straight to the ground and the other side (intake side) blocked up. Will this cause any problems? My mate was saying it will be best to get a valbe and have a sealed system rather than venting the crap straight to the ground....