streched tyres?

I have a question,

Why do some people put smaller tyres on wider rims and stretch them? I don't see the bennefits it offers. Surely it must affect the handling of the car?

I was in my works van a few weeks back, I was following an old school bmw, and it had tyres that were ridicously streched, it just looked daft, even my work partner said the same, and he's one of those who's glass is always half full!!!!! Also the wheels were running at an ofset angle, they were all leaning in at the top.

Please help me understand why people do this?

Ha ha firstly its a bit of a euro look, if not stretched ridiculously can look good, i have a little stretch on mine. Benefits wise...helps tuck tyre's under arches reducing arch rubbing....gives clearance, which is a good thing if running bigger and wider wheels. And lets be honest wide wheels look good on old golfs.lol

leaning in at top is called camber,,,...again, can e just a look thing...but again benefit wise, aids with arch clearence and can be used for handling purposes....the surface of the wheels is greater in a bend giving more grip!!

:)

am you spadam' date=' lol beat me to it.!!! small stretch isnt too dangerous though. Big strecth means you cant be too agressive in bends.

[/quote']

Yea true heard of that happening to a mate of mine lol sure he didnt find it funny tho.

n no no ben they are ridiculous and im not saying that because im 29' date='lol just shite.lol

[/quote']

I am older than that !! its mental and that why I love them :) the drift cars are sensible and setup properly the other cars posted are just for showing off really and I guess debatable wether they are safe or not but cool - oh hell yes :) :)

sounds like ur havin a nightmare at the moment mate:( im sure it will all fall into place soon :)

me?? yeah 2 front tyres being ruined within a week!! :( very bad times!!! Boys have gievn me some hope on the tracking etc so fingers crossed...i have a terrible knock too which is annoying. But ye when it falls into place, smiles will be back along with the miles!!!

stretching tyres is for clearance and to keep things legal. Tyre tread is not allowed to protrude outside of the arch so when stretching tyres, the tread still stays covered leaving the tyre wall and the rim poking. It also allows for cars to go lower without having to tuck wheels inside the arches.

Im a fan of stretch, but only when its needed. I dont see the point in big stretch if the wheels are tucked. Stretch on skinny wheels doesnt look good.

fittipaldi%20lotus%20mk%2072%20cartolina.JPG

20090425_111607_patrickvisser_speed_en_gein_img_5427.jpg

4165844795_0764e5e866_o.jpg

ian-fournier-drift-safari-r32-skyline-20%20copy.jpg

IH0J4222_Drift_and_Drag_Firebird_Raceway_George_Mazda_FC_Burnout.jpg

(Love jap cars :-# project mabe....)