Hi all, Just wanted to know what would happen if I unplugged the MAF?

Basically I'm chasing the missfire. What I've noticed is that when the car is warm, it misfires worse. Also, if I boot it, it misses, actually it stutters more than misses, picks up then is ok, but if I'm gentle on the throttle, I can go through the entire rev range with no issues??!!!!!

Could be anything... I had old BMW E30 that had only ever done school run never had been over 50 mph .. first time i took it to 80 it nearly died... Was just clogged injectors and crap in the tank... MAF is a good place to start though

If you unplug the maf and take it for a run and it is nice and smooth this would suggest that the maf is dirty or needs to be replaced' date=' If it needs replacing i think gsf do them as an exchange unit

[/quote']

Cool, thanks for that, will try that tomorrow

tps do them as an exchange unit for a proper vw one, cost me £60 instead of £160 on exchange

unplugging the maf you wouldnt get nice and smooth running it would either be the same or get worse, if its the same the maf is faulty, if it gets worse its a good indicator the maf is working at least some, if not at 100%

tps do them as an exchange unit for a proper vw one' date=' cost me £60 instead of £160 on exchange

unplugging the maf you wouldnt get nice and smooth running it would either be the same or get worse, if its the same the maf is faulty, if it gets worse its a good indicator the maf is working at least some, if not at 100%

[/quote']

I unpluged my MAF for my home journey, and the car absolutley flew??? pick up was totally different, seemed much more willing, could put my foot hard down and it responded. only twice did it stutter and that was between 1000 and 1300 rpm on gentleish throttle??!! oh and my tickover was smoother...I'm not saying that the MAF is/was my only problem, I'm still changing the leads, and trying a coil pack....Coincidental???

Non mechanic here, but mine had the maf unplugged when i bought it and i didnt notice til i got it home but it ran fine unplugged and absolute garbage when plugged in, i traced it to the dreaded pcv valve split, i dont know if there is any similarities but maybe vaccum leak?? if not good luck sorting it mate

I unpluged my MAF for my home journey' date=' and the car absolutley flew??? pick up was totally different, seemed much more willing, could put my foot hard down and it responded. only twice did it stutter and that was between 1000 and 1300 rpm on gentleish throttle??!! oh and my tickover was smoother...I'm not saying that the MAF is/was my only problem, I'm still changing the leads, and trying a coil pack....Coincidental???

[/quote']

Was the stutter on initial start up...?

I unpluged my MAF for my home journey' date=' and the car absolutley flew??? pick up was totally different, seemed much more willing, could put my foot hard down and it responded. only twice did it stutter and that was between 1000 and 1300 rpm on gentleish throttle??!! oh and my tickover was smoother...I'm not saying that the MAF is/was my only problem, I'm still changing the leads, and trying a coil pack....Coincidental???

[/quote']

Was the stutter on initial start up...?

No, stutter was on gentle throttle......rag it, it's fine, treat it like a lady and she complains??!!!!! As I said, I think it's a combination of problems for me to work my way through...Just bugging and spoilng what is an awesome car..

just for reference when i had a bad maf mine stuttered on gentle throttle and was fine on full throttle with and without maf plugged in and ran the same plugged or unplugged, idle was worse without the maf though. It also used more fuel with the bad maf, I knew maf was the problem as vagcom told me this, only when i plugged in a brand new maf was it obvious how it wasnt running optimally

I had the same problem bugging me for ages. Cleaned the throttle body etc and nothing. Changed the lambda and nothing again. New leads, plugs and the blue engine coolant temperature sensor and now it runs like a dream!! read something about the ECU getting the wrong info from the sensor and bogging down when hot?? Worth a shot for a tenner!

Didn’t realise how much power I was losing.

I had the same problem bugging me for ages. Cleaned the throttle body etc and nothing. Changed the lambda and nothing again. New leads' date=' plugs and the blue engine coolant temperature sensor and now it runs like a dream!! read something about the ECU getting the wrong info from the sensor and bogging down when hot?? Worth a shot for a tenner!

Didn’t realise how much power I was losing.

[/quote']

Cool. will try it along with other stuff, as you say tenner... then at least I'd know it's good!!!