Right where do i start

A couple of weeks back i was happily pulling away from a set of light when a dumb cow slammed her brake on for no reason and i slammed into the back her, cause the rad popped i turned it striate off and then towed it home,the next day the insurance company towed my car away to a garage where they decided to write it off (Tossers).

Cause the damage was so light i brought it back off them for £140 (only needs lights ,bumper,grill,rads and slam panel).

Today i brought a second hand Slam panel with both rads and 1 light for £40, so i`m thinking sweet only need a light, bumper and grill and its done

I fitted the parts i brought today and started it up (Even though the battery barley had enough juice to turn over it fired up first go as always)

While it was ticking over i kept checking the water hoses giving em a good squeeze, and making sure the rad i got was not leeking and i noticed the top hose was getting fairly hot but the bottom was stone cold,first thing i though was the rad was blocked but the water seemed to be circulating back to the expansion tank ok, so i put the cap back on and left it running after a little while i sensed something wasn't right and the bottom hose was now warm and the top hose really hot and rock hard so i turned it off and had a good look about making sure i put the fan wires ect back on, after about ten minutes i started it back up and it was running for few minutes, by this time it was nearly dark so i decided to turn off and start again tomorrow then it started knocking like fuck, i turned it off within a couple off second's (the temp gauge was on normal and the oil temp was 75, i checked the oil, little bit above the bottom mark so low but not badly low), i've let it cool right down and started it and it sounds like the cams fucked ?

Anyone got any ideas what it could be ?

I was thinking Themostat, Blocked Rad, Head Gasket but would the water temp be normal if it was those

Then i ask my mum if the tow truck bloke started it when he picked it up (i was out when he came) and she said yes but only to drive it up the ramp, could that have warp the head that quick.

Any Help Would Be Much Appreciated.

Bee

I Started it again today and the top end knocking is quiter than it was the other day but it started to get worse as it warmed up,

when i took the oil cap off it didnt seem right, it looks kinda dry,apart from the cam moving it looks like at ain't running,

Could my problem be the oil pump ?,has anyone heard of a sudden jolt from a crash breaking the oil pump ? How do i test the oil pump ? Do i need a pressure gauge to check the oil pressure ?

Also think i gonna get sniff test done.

Thanks Bee...

i wouldnt worry about running the engine for short periods without watter, when i swaped my engine in i drove it for 2 mins or so without coolent or a rad and i didnt warp my head, i also had a hose brake in a no hard shoulder motorway and drove for a mile or something, the top hose should be hoter than the bottom hose as the rad cools the water down and they do firm up as the engine gets hot, they shouldnt really be "rock hard" as the pressure should be very high, if the head gasket gos that can cause exust to get into the coolent and that will increase the pressure and make the hoses rock hard but i wouldnt of thought you were that unlucky, and have a look at the oil fillter, cooler, its the thing that the crack pipe feeds watter in in front of the engine as that the only thing i could see you breaking in a bumper bender, it would help if you knew were abouts the knocking was happening

oh btw check the oil temp gauge as if it stays cold or gets very hot that would indercate the oil pumps not curculating the oil

also how long has the car not been run as i heard that sometimes the oil can take 10-20 mins before its all around the engine again, if its like a taping noise it might just be a bit dry

If its knocking at the bottom end pal i would suggest the oil pumps fucked causing it to knock as it isnt picking up the oil properly.

The overheating water pipes and the cold pipes could still have an issue with an air lock somewhere regardless. i would suggest getting a garage to pressure test the block for any signs of Head gasket failure as if the guy has run it without water the engine can still get quite hot and cause the head gasket to fail. If he has tell him hes a twat!