2.9 manifold mod?

the mod, take a normal OBD1 manifold and cut the bottom out, weld it back up and it'll create more airflow, well thats the theory

here's the link: http://www.dubnetworks.net/showthread.php?t=1254

now my question is, will it make a difference???

got a buddy that wants to sell one for £20 to me...... let me know if it's a good buy

As far as I can see the webs inside that have been cut away are there to smooth the airflow and prevent turbulent flow. The restriction is still there but without anything to guide the air through. Obviously I can't comment on whether it will work or not but I can't see how it has been improved. Just my opinion.

Just buy a schrick. Not worth doing....

easy saying that' date=' but when the only schrick one I've found is at £1000 second hand on ebay (which for an inlet manifold is just ridiculous) a home made item for most is a much more realistic option!

[/quote']

Actually, to remove the bits that creates the turbulance is a bad thing, its the same on those stupid throttle bodies off ebay, they are there for a reason....

When you put a 2.8 manifold onto a 2.9 lump, gives it more low end poke.....

Schricks go for around 800 quid on forums now-a-days and worth every penny, totally changes the characteristics of the car and no 'hacked to bits' manifold will come close.... Just think of all the thousands of pounds that go into developing inlets / schricks and some guys just comes along with a grinder and a welder.....

Pete

I sold my schrick for £600 so they come up every so often.

People who have owned schricks rave about em, where as those who haven't say they are too expensive. Always baffles me that as they make the car sooooo much better to drive, hence why the 24v has them or same principle as standard

the way i see it , you are increasing the volume of air that can be moved within the manifold, thus creating more air+fuel = power..... or so i think

so nobody has done this yet?

porting the throttle body made a world of difference on my car, so maybe this wont be that bad, and i dont have the cash for a shrick...

People who have owned schricks rave about em' date=' where as those who haven't say they are too expensive. Always baffles me that as they make the car sooooo much better to drive, hence why the 24v has them or same principle as standard

[/quote']

Can you get another one and sell it to me for £600 bargain still cant believe your charger though! Im waiting until that gets to £600 lol;)

the way i see it ' date=' you are increasing the volume of air that can be moved within the manifold, thus creating more air+fuel = power..... or so i think

porting the throttle body made a world of difference on my car, so maybe this wont be that bad, and i dont have the cash for a shrick...

[/quote']

did you port the throttle body yourself? if so how did you do it?

People who have owned schricks rave about em, where as those who haven't say they are too expensive. Always baffles me that as they make the car sooooo much better to drive, hence why the 24v has them or same principle as standard

If the 24v have a VSR or similar as standard, is there anyway of adapting one to fit 12V

People who have owned schricks rave about em' date=' where as those who haven't say they are too expensive. Always baffles me that as they make the car sooooo much better to drive, hence why the 24v has them or same principle as standard[/b']

If the 24v have a VSR or similar as standard, is there anyway of adapting one to fit 12V

I have seen it done! There's a thread on VW vortex I think...

ok well im going to bite the bullet' date=' im gonna take it from my buddy this weekend.....

will do a rolling road before and after fitment....

[/quote']

Thr results will be interesting to see and you may start a trend if they come out favourable.

the way i see it ' date=' you are increasing the volume of air that can be moved within the manifold, thus creating more air+fuel = power..... or so i think

[/quote']

simple mate, got a dremmel, and smoothed out the edges, then polished it up took me about 15 minutes to do..... i've done 4 other vr6's as well, revs up very quickly, shitty part is it increased my fuel consumption...

[/quote']

simple mate, got a dremmel, and smoothed out the edges, then polished it up took me about 15 minutes to do..... i've done 4 other vr6's as well, revs up very quickly, shitty part is it increased my fuel consumption...

cool, think ill be doing that then mate :-)