Always gets me that snow causes so much choas

SNOW RANT

Its getting annoying now, unbelievable that a bit of snow can cause so much commotion and bring the whole of england to a standstill.

On sunday we went to the pub that is about a 5-10min drive from my house, we got there fine and it had been snowing before, by the time we came out it was snowing fairly heavily but you could still easily drive at 30, so why the hell did it take 2.5 hours to get home? A bus crashed, people were just sitting in their cars afraid to move, it was pathetic, the road to my house has a long hill that you can get up in snow if you have a good run up and keep your momentum, but people were stopping halfway up for no reason? just to have a break? then inevitably they were stuck and caused a whole load more delay.

Ive never got properly stuck STUCK in snow and if i have got halted by it ive always got myself sorted out, you see clips of morons sat in their cars revving the tits off first just spinning on the spot on the news. And the other day when i parked in a very snowy car park that was nice and empty a man came in after me in a 2WD A4 avant just acting like its a summer day and the tarmac was racetrack hot, understeered nearly into the wall then rammed it in reverse before even coming to a nice slow stop, wheelspin, wheelspin, wheelspin. Then he wondered how he got stuck. Just looked at him like the pillock he was.

Why dont people adjust their driving to suit the conditions?

Everyones tailgating each other like they expect that when they need to slam their brakes on cos they are 5mm off the person in front that some braking will actually happen.

Everyone down my street is just as bad, no one has left their house cos of a bit of snow and their drives are about a foot deep, me being prepared i cleared the drive and put a shedload of grit down and i can drive in and out as much as i please, on the plus side town is deadly quiet and no queues anywhere.

Surely i cant be the only person who thinks this is all just totally unnessecary?

ahhhhh, vented

Lukey the reason your neighbours drives are still full of snow is possibly the same reason mine is...we don;t need to venture out. I totally agree with what your saying, most drivers in this country have no idea about driving in arduous conditions and Craggsy is spot on with his tyres comment. Once upon a time we never saw conditions as bad as this (well the amount of snow falling so quickly over a short period) therefore a tyre law was not needed. We should implement the German ruling of a winter driving check, winter tyres and offer advice to those who cannot cope with driving in poor conditions. I have just walked a few miles along the streets from my house to the main road just to see if its passable, others have simply jumped in the car then realised it wasn't.....DOH!

Oh and we also drive round in mainly summer tyres that have next to no tread. The sooner it becomes law to have winter tyres the safer it will be

Never a better excuse for a second set of wheels :D

Lukey, that A4, doesn't come from coventry does it? One the other night overtook all of us in a queue and lost it trying to cut in front. Front of car smashed as well as his roof from a solid sign post...overtook at approx 45 on a 30 road covered in snow.

I've already posted about drifting slightly. Car is driving very nicely. I've watched people trying to brake in snow, just slamming brakes on, shutting eyes and only a few trying to steer around the obstruction. People need to realise that selecting a lower gear or 2 gears down, will stop you quite nicely if done properly.

Already used that technique several times to avoid moronic bumfaced gits that feel that they can wheel spin ferociously to pull out into my line of travel and feel it is acceptable. I overtook one of these pillocks with the oncoming side clear, to avoid a crash and tooted my horn.... response was hand out the window giving me dice shaking gestures...... yes, yes, of course, it is my fault you pulled out infront of me and nearly damaged both our cars..... GRRRR. Plastic munching, pole shafting, ribena snorting, frootlooped sage eaters!.

Funny that none of the abusive idiots have no intention of looking your way at lights.... yea, just what I thought, you're ignoring my presence because I'm right.

End of rant. :)