Usb drivers and xp.

I don't suppose anyone knows how to set the usb ports up in windows xp?

I've got an adapter for my ecu, but i can't get it to work. It used to work on my last laptop, but i can't remember how i did it. I think there was somewhere that you could tell the pc what port you wanted?

when you have the device installed open up device manager, right click on it and select properties, choose the advanced tab then click advanced port settings, shoose the available com port you want and ok all the boxes, you may need to restart the computer for the change to take effect.

If the software only lets you choose the first set of com ports and they are all reserved by other devices, like vagcom does, you will have to find what is using the com port you want to assign by doing the above on other connected devices like modems etc and re assign them a com port out of the range you want to use

Thanks for the advise. I ended up deleting all the usb things in the device manager, then restarting the computer with the usb to coms lead plugged in and it sorted the drivers out accordingly.

I had previously installed the driver for the lead, but it didn't seem to work.