right had the car up on axle stands and thought i should properly assess the rust,i welded the passengers side but admit its not the best.

this is the passengers welded side

1294083602_12192_FT0_img_7867.jpg

this is the drivers side, the dark area is so soft i stuck a screwdriver through it

1294084270_12192_FT0_img_7854.jpg

1294084292_12192_FT0_img_7855.jpg

so i aim to stop it in its tracks, what parts do i need to replace with cost and where can i source them from ? the structural bits inside the sills are slightly damaged aswell

ok but here is the dilemma

good points for repairing are: cheaper and it means i dont have to buy all the different panels.

good points for replacing with new parts: eliminates all rust so it wont spread, makes it structurally sound , means i can pass mot if i move to the uk in a few years also it would make a perfect time to respray.

But with the rust that goes further in towards the centre of the car what panels do i replace?

ok but here is the dilemma

good points for repairing are: cheaper and it means i dont have to buy all the different panels.

good points for replacing with new parts: eliminates all rust so it wont spread, makes it structurally sound , meaning i can pass mot's if i move to the uk in a few years but also it would make a perfect time to respray.

But with the rust that goes further in towards the centre of the car on the floor what panels would i need to replace? is it possible to replace parts of the floor pan or not?

cheers im going to start by cleaning everything right back to bare metal as half the floor is solid then ill repair the floors as the guide showed. i think i might get the sills and structural bits behind them replacedfor new though as they are knackered. what are the sills actually made up from ? as in there is a structural beam that goes down each side, can this be replaced aswell as the outer sill that covers this

cheers im going to start by cleaning everything right back to bare metal as half the floor is solid then ill repair the floors as the guide showed. i think i might get the sills and structural bits behind them replaced for new though as they are knackered. what are the sills actually made up from ? as in there is a structural beam that goes down each side, can this be replaced aswell as the outer sill bit that covers this beam

• 3 weeks later...

If you have some basic fabricating skills, a hammer and a vice most small area's can be made. I'm not sure on the availability of repair panels for the mk3 but I have replaced inner and outers on other cars. You'll not really know until you get amongst it and then of course, it's too late to stop. Have you found somewhere that can suply the panels in case?

Guernsey is one of our affilliations and you may have seen my little boat anchored off your island.

the mk3 is like a triple skin, the outer, middle and inner. the middle is the bit that is integral to the structure, i doubt there would be anything wrong with it unless you have some really bad damage.

Ive done both sides on mine inner and outer,

you can get outer sills readily. hadrian is an obvious example and what i used, did both rear arches aswell and the shapes were very good, little modification needed. inner sills i just cut away to good metal and filled in with right angle edged sheet, while i was there i reinforced the whole lot its now way stronger than it ever was before. I also got some rubber wheel arch seal trim robbed off an old metro and tiger sealed them onto the jacking points as an extra bit of reinforcement and protection.