Ok, so i've just been informed Vpower is now £1.40.9 at my local shell, and will probably be at £1.49.9 at the station closest to the motorway.

Is anyone else making the switch to normal unleaded? Or already have? I'm seriously considering it, as it's getting a touch pricey to even limp the old 2.8 around at the moment lol!

Ollie

Using normal unleaded will be fine, although you will lose perfomance and economy (noticeable but small losses) and also lose the avdanced cleaning agents found in premier fuels which do benefit your engine. Obviously though if push comes to shove then I don't think normal unleaded will cause any problems.

Interesting read on performance gains if anybody is interested: http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

Using normal unleaded will be fine' date=' although you will lose perfomance and economy (noticeable but small losses) and also lose the avdanced cleaning agents found in premier fuels which do benefit your engine. Obviously though if push comes to shove then I don't think normal unleaded will cause any problems.

Interesting read on performance gains if anybody is interested: http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

[/quote']

Good read, will start to use Tescos 99 I think and see if it makes the difference they say!!!

Using normal unleaded will be fine' date=' although you will lose perfomance and economy (noticeable but small losses) and also lose the avdanced cleaning agents found in premier fuels which do benefit your engine. Obviously though if push comes to shove then I don't think normal unleaded will cause any problems.

[/quote']

Very interesting read indeed that! And proof that premier fuels really do make a difference.

It really does surprise me that the majority on here use normal unleaded, especially in a performance v6?

Oh and I took this lastnight :-/

a4e48bdf.jpg

The vr6 engine is supposed to run 95 octane fuel. So why pay extra for 99 octane.

It will make no difference unless your car has been remapped to run 99 octane.

Fifth Gear done a test a few years back testing three different fuels on different cars then rolling roaded them.

Putting a higher octane fuel in a car not designed for it made no performance improvement whatsoever.

However putting standard fuel in a Subaru designed for 99 octane reduced power substantially.

as above if you read that report and only take into account the results for the MR2 ( the only car of around a VR6 age and therefore the only car which will react the same way) the difference over the fuels is about 5bhp now personally I cannot justify the extra cost for that tiny difference - a difference which you will never be able to feel on the road ! waste of money inmo

• 1 month later...