Got a funny noise coming from the engine, drivers side (hard to explain, is a bit "Whiney" and quite loud) and the pitch of the noise changes when i turn the wheel

Always comes on from cold start and dissapears about 5 seconds after pulling away.

It all started when I:

1 - topped up the power steering fluid

2 - It got really really cold

Also steering can suddenly turns "hard" sometimes at the same time, but goes away and works normall once moving again

Someone said it can be the power steering pump also someone else said its just the cold weather (as i swear it doesnt do it when the temp doesnt frop below minus figures)

Any clues (think I may have to take it to the garage if bad) but as it always seems to dissapear once moving am hoping its just the cold weather

Swapping the power steering pump is pretty straightforward, since it is relatively easy to get to from underneath. Things to remember are:

1. You will need a new drivebelt once you have removed the old one.

2. The Pump's Pulley is more easily removed/refitted with the pump still bolted to the engine.

3. You will need to drain & refill the systm to do this job. When refilling, you must use special VW Power steering fluid (green) which is available from main dealers, GSF & ECP, but not from many other places. Don't use the "generic" yellow/clear stuff.

4. You must never let a power steering pump run "dry". Once you have bolted the new pump to the engine, attach the bottom (suction) hose to the pump but leave the metal top (delivery) pipe off. Then put some fluid in the reservoir. Turn the pump clockwise by hand until the green fluid runs out of the hole in the top without any air bubbles, then immediately attach the top pipe (using a new pair of sealing washers on either side of the banjo union). Then turn the pump clockwise some more by hand.

This info came from another thread... to remove the serpentine belt you need to slacken off the belt tensioner pulley at the top. See this thread... http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?155363 for info on how to remove the belt.