Funny that, I was reading racecar engineering earlier, and there's a piece if hardware that plugs into the OBD2 port, and connects to your iPhone etc, it allows monitoring key data, performance figures and faults etc, and you can set custom air/fuel ratios I think... :D

I very cleverly bought the missus one for christmas, had a play and ended up getting me a samsung galaxy tab with front and rear cameras.. However the ipad 2 is very tempting IF u can mms and call from it?? I have to admit the ipad 1 isal sooo much smoother than the android which is comparable to the gearbox in my transit van, clunky!!

I also hear the processor and new os version is supposed to be much smoother and quicker than the 1..

Will put my name down and be 1st through the door on the 25th if the full usage of the sim card is there!

You can jailbreak to use facetime over 3G and skype already supports video calling over 3G - its actaully quite good....

I've just bought this for my iphone - awaiting my dongle to arrive though! http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/index.php

Its only a matter of time before I think VCDS will be ported to iOS :)

I'm not sure but I think i saw an i-pad or laptop bag just as i got on the M27 at lunchtime but nowhere to turn round quick to go and have a look. Bet someone put it on their roof in the carpark at work and then drove off after forgetting it was their. Wish I had gone back for a look now....

You can jailbreak to use facetime over 3G and skype already supports video calling over 3G - its actaully quite good....

I've just bought this for my iphone - awaiting my dongle to arrive though! http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/index.php

pete - you may as well have written that in chinese!!!!

can you see it flying waaaay above my head!!

pete - you may as well have written that in chinese!!!!

can you see it flying waaaay above my head!!

I was thinking the same, logged onto the wrong forum! ;-)

jailbreaking is putting a non apple restriced version of their software on the iphone' date=' which enables you to do anything you like, as the apple software is massively restriced, you lose your warranty instantly though

[/quote']

its only software, and that is scaremongering tacticts! if you need to take it back to apple - simply restore to defaults in iTunes.

so if mines sim free i dont need to unlock it do I? can you just do the jailbreak and not the unlock? when it was the first iphone i seem to remember you had to do both, which the baseband was the part i didnt want to go messing with

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the earlier mentioned scanner for my iPad 1 called a plx kiwi. Installed rev2 and set it all up in my van but it won't work in the vr. Looking into fitting permanent +12v to obd port to power the kiwi. Good tool for general fault code reading but vcds does exactly the same thing. Rev looks good though, especially when you can put the screen from your iPhone / iPad onto a screen fitted in the car.