Just put in a turbo vr6 engine and i have the red oil light flashing, at first i found there was not much oil in it then i topped it up and all was ok. now the oil light keeps flashing and have grey/black smoke coming out of the exhaust :S

any ideas guys??

had black smoke coming out of mine when i started it up aswell' date='been told that means its running rich,is your oil air cooled ie mocal oil cooler or still water cooled?

[/quote']

oh ok, i do have an oil cooler, thinks it mocal but will double check.

Have you had it mapped since fitting?

nope not mapped, just got it to the stage so i could start it up, i still need to fit the intercooler pipes, also i had a banjo bolt snap and just got some new ones in the post which ill fit tomorrow.

you could just have a boost pipe come undone' date=' that could cause grey and black smoke, also turbo seals could cause the grey smoke if its on the white side

[/quote']

i do have all the intercooler pipes off... would that make a difference?

[blockquote][blockquote]dman-vrt wrote ...

had black smoke coming out of mine when i started it up aswell,been told that means its running rich,is your oil air cooled ie mocal oil cooler or still water cooled?[/blockquote]

oh ok, i do have an oil cooler, thinks it mocal but will double check[/blockquote]

well as you've got a mocal you need to make sure its got enough oil to compensate for the pipes and cooler,get your boost pipes on and get it mapped

if your boost pipe is off it will be overfuelling like crazy cos it will be expecting so much more air in the cylinders that the turbo compressed into them, with the boost pipe off its just atmospheric so the amount of fuel will be totally disproportionate to the amount of air it is expecting to be in there, so overfuels and you get dirty black smoke

if your boost pipe is off it will be overfuelling like crazy cos it will be expecting so much more air in the cylinders that the turbo compressed into them' date=' with the boost pipe off its just atmospheric so the amount of fuel will be totally disproportionate to the amount of air it is expecting to be in there, so overfuels and you get dirty black smoke

[/quote']

ooh ok mate i see :) sorry this is my first encounter with a turbo engine so im new to it all. so when i get all the pipes on and in place then the oil light should go out and there will be no smoke?

hi guys :) i have fitted all boost pipes now and i have a misfire and definate over fuelling problem!!

all 6 spark plugs are black! swapped ht leads, no change and changed spark plugs, no change.

i was thinking it was down to wiring/plugs as ive used the old wiring loom on the turbo engine (all wiring is the same) but i noticed on the turbo engine it had the brown sensor missing which is located on the front of the engine near the gear box (next to the blue and yellow sensors)

so i took the brown sensor of the old engine and put it on the turbo engine... i didnt no if that would make a difference ? or whether thats to do with the aircon?

also i found oil leaking from the top plug (one of three) on the oil filter housing, it leaks out quit quickly when engine is running.... maybe that would cause oil light to flash??

thanks guys! :)

also theres a plug that goes onto the air filter housing (i think thats the MAF plug/sensor) which isnt plugged in as the air filter is now on the right side of the engine... i read that might make a difference to the fuel?

thanks again vr6 lovers!! :D

have u had it remapped yet mate as the computer will be trying to do things it thinks will work for the old engine' date=' that that

[/quote']

nope car hasnt moved since i put engine in, i have swapped ecu's (as new one has superchip in it)

i had an idea about the misfure... i thought cos the maf sensor isnt on then its throwing to much fuel in and buggering up the plugs causing it to misfire?

im gonna wire up the MAF sensor this saturday night and clean the plugs up and give it a go, fingers crossed!

a loose sender on top of the filter housing would probably cause low oil pressure yes which would trip the low pressure sender to turn the light on.

yeh the top sender wasnt even tight! have no idea why that is though :S

have tightened up now and put plug back on, will start it up saturday/sunday and will post the results :)