Final Drive Info / Gearbox advice needed

Hi All,

I need some gearbox advice & am only asking as a trawl thru' the 35+ pages of search results hasn't yielded everything I think I need :-)

Basically, the gearbox is coming out of the VR due to the clutch collapsing, so whilst that's getting swapped (together with new engine mounts, polybushes, sump gasket, new chains etc!) I thought it's as good a time as any to look at having the final drive swapped over in the gearbox whilst it's being checked over.

What I need to know is what people recommend (either 3.68 / 3.94) and what vehicles the 3.68 & 3.94 can be found in (G60/GTI 16V?) - and is it best to order the FD new from VW/TPS or will a decent 2nd hand one be sufficient?

Also, using the 5th gear to bring down the cruising RPM on the motorway ; are all mk3 tdi boxes the same so any 5th gear from a box will do - or again am I best ordering new from VW/TPS?

I also see that there's possible drilling out of rivets and replacing with bolts etc...where can these be sourced?

The car is currently used on the road as a daily driver, but I dont mind lairy acceleration (my other car's a 380bhp GTiR!) and it may even get the odd run on a drag strip.

Any input/advice is more than appreciated, and if anyone happens to be selling a modified box or the parts I need I'm interested!

Cheers and big thanks in advance,

Steve. :-)

Hiya, the 3.68 Final Drive is from a G60.

Highly recommend this modfication. I had it on my last VR6 and it totally changed the way it drove, so much acceleration in every gear... no more need to drop it a gear before it gets lively anymore...

An often overlooked modification, not 100% on the 5th Gear. I did alot of motorway miles, and alhough it used more fuel, I didnt mind that much as I had instant power at my foot.

DanH is the man regarding the removal of the rivits / bolt replacment...

Hope this helps :)

In short - do the 3.68 final drive, totally awesome and definetley how the VR6 should have as standard... the standard gearbox is far too lazy!!

Pete

Hi Pete,

Cheers for the quick & informative reply - looks like it's something I'm definately keen on (& I don't mind cruising at a few mph lower on the motorway!).

Will see what others come back with and contact DanH about some tips on the building side of it!

Thanks again! :-D

PS - Someone I know has a G60 box...and has asked me to make them an offer on it - any ideas on what it's worth? (and should it have "CDA" as the code on the box?)

Steve.

just for an idea, you can pick up the Final Drive etc... for between 50 - 100 pounds. If you speak to places like Stealth Racing, Storm etc.... you might find they have a couple knocking around!

Expect anything from between 400 - 600 for a box rebuild with the G60 final drive :)

Pete

pm replied to :)

im putting a O2A guide together atm, cos theres always questions about these gearboxes and final drives etc.......but im so strapped for time its taking ages....doing bits here and there but i want it to cover everything.

pics of nuts and bolts installed. these are non arp bolts in these pics

P270410_19530001.jpg

P270410_19520001.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys - it's been a big big help :-)

Gearbox should be off the car in the next day or so, and we'll see what the damage is!

Can anyone say if having the flywheel lightened will help, and if so, by how much?

Cheers!

I know I should've asked this sooner, but does anyone know the VW part numbers for the 3.68 crown & pinion setup and the TDi 5th gear (plus any other part numbers like the new bolts etc etc!) ?

Thanks in advance guys! :-)