How to build a mk3 flip key (new stock arrived)

After asking if anyone had any key issues or questions and getting a couple of replies myself and Dan set about a little project. Dan supplied the mk3 key complete with transponder and I called in some contacts to source the parts. Once the flip fob and key blade were sourced the fun began.

IMG_0536.jpg

Using the original key on the left as a template and the new blade in the centre I used my key machine to cut a copy.

The mkiv blade was removed from the fob carefully using a drift and the new cut blade put in and roll pin re-inserted.

The original key was stripped of its transponder and this was put into the fob which has a pocket desingned for this.

IMG_0537.jpg

The blank I was using was slightly too big and so a little bit of work was required on the casing but version 2 resolves this problem. Once complete and all together here is the final item.

IMG_0538.jpg

The fob casing is empty and with a little bit of inginuity, after market remote central locking fob internals could be made to fit inside.

I can supply as seen with the cut blank and an empty fob (you can fit your own internals) with transponder swapped over from your donor key for £30. I've just done the prototype for Dan and his was shipped back to him today after receiving his donor key yesterday.

spot on :) soon as im sorted with a few other issues ill get back to you n get one ordered.

Would it just be a case of carefully removing my alarm fob internals and fitting them in the flip key ? (with the obvious common sense/care)

It all depends on the alarm fob you already have and how much work it requires but there is lots of room inside one of these fobs so there is the opportunity.

sounds easy, certainly doesnt look it though, i thought about this when i had my clifford fitted, this thread soon changed my mind lol

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2339483

this could also totally depend on your alarm fob type, mine doesnt have buttons just circuit board contacts, they dont seem to work with anything but the buttons in my alarm fob so dont know if thye have some metal in or something, from this finding on my own i think its likely that for it to work you would have to start with a fob that has proper buttons that the flip fob could press for it to be reliable.

it is also my opinion you also need to order some horse strength brave pills off the internet to cut up an expensive to replace alarm fob

Have got my mk3 flip key and I gotta say it's flipping brilliant ! Top top work by Bungy , a brilliant and cool little mod that is so much better than the standard key , so get in touch with Bungy here and get one sorted !

• 2 weeks later...