modding restrictions

before i start this is work of ant1981 on golfgtiforum.co.uk just wanted to see what you guys thing of it!

Taken from http://www.the-ace.org.uk/stricter-mot-test-from-2012.html

'Currently we do not have a list of illegal engine tuning parts in this country but the EC is looking at restrictions across the board, particularly as OEM are pressing against tuning of their ECU software, maintaining that it is their property, regardless of the vehicles sale.'

What do we think about this? Is there a real reason for restricitons, or is it simply another way of trying to control people?

Do you think the ECU and its software is owned by OEM after they've sold it to you? Consider that any modification is for your own use, it's not the modifying and distributing of their software.

If it's software specific, consider that there are no restrictions on people modifying licenced software that they own for their own use.

I don't recall any OEM giving me licence numbers and certificates on any software in a car with imposed restrictions, so I can't see how this can be justified.

words of ant1981!!!

ok , hids will happen ..

rest probaly never ..

the car tuning industry is worth millions ..

its like people saying , the ring is going to close .

it wont as there is to much invested publically and otherwise.

there can be workarounds for most stuff, like if they go on about increased resistance due to wider wheels having a bigger contact patch you could just fit the same cross section tyres, most cars come with fairly wide tyres now anyway, my mothers astra diesel is on like 220 wide tyres from the factory. If you stick with the same cross section tyre you can say you arent increasing your contact patch etc

most of the stuff looks like it would be pretty hard if not impossible to implement and uphold continually