oil leak from front of engine?

my vr6 has a slight oil leak from the front of the engine, only leaks when its on my drive which is a slight hill, any flat surface and it wont leak!

think its coming from the oil filter housing, the screw cap where you have the big plastic cap and 32mm nut on it to get the oil filter out or the 2x sensors on the oil cooler whatever they are for? it has been serviced recently.

the screw cap with the 32mm nut has oil running down it i noticed! not a lot though!

it will be the oil filter housing' date=' or the oil cooler seals, these are prone to going hard overtime,

[/quote']

the 32mm nut oil filter housing has been off as i put a new oil filter and seal on it, kind of looks like its coming from there where the seal is.

regarding oil cooler seals can these be bought from anywhere?

mine had this, would only do it when the back end was jacked up,i replaced my oil cooler seals and the knock sensor seal along with my oil filter the same time i did an oil change, you can do the oil cooler seals without stripping the front of the car,{on a corrado} its tight in there though

oilcoolersurface.jpg

You can do it on a golf too without removing the front, it's a bit tight though and much easier from underneath, might be tempted to take the front off though for how easy it is (6 bolts) and make sure the mating surface on the block is super clean, last thing you want is to replace the seals and you find you trapped some muck between the cooler and block and it's leaking still, waste of brand new oil cos you'd have to empty it all out agian

mine had this' date=' would only do it when the back end was jacked up,i replaced my oil cooler seals and the knock sensor seal along with my oil filter the same time i did an oil change, you can do the oil cooler seals without stripping the front of the car,{on a corrado} its tight in there though

[img']http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb441/chris2fer666/oilcoolersurface.jpg

cool ow does the oil cooler come off? just a couple of bolts?

one big bolt straight through, i cant remember the size though, theres 2 seals, one goes between the block and the cooler {has little tabs/ears which is the top seal in pic} and the other goes between the cooler and the bolt flange.oilcoolerboltandseal.jpg

just checked the oil cooler and its as dry as a bone! the oil filter cap with the 32mm plastic nut is oily so im presuming its that seal, although its just been replaced with a new filter and seal (non genuine) :-(

• 2 weeks later...