Advice on engine/car choice

Right,

The story goes like this:

Im a student and running a VR6 is a dream, but starting working life is going to be crushing with fuel at the current price especially if the job search doesnt go extremely well (actually thinking of applying to VW). So the current list of ideas to cut costs are as follows.

Swap the VR6 for a 2.0 16v to save on fuel and refurb the vr lump until fuel isnt so much of an issue

Get a mk2 16v (with the intention of putting a vr6 in eventually)

bear the vr6 (my current favourite option and not an impossible one)

So any advice as to whats the best option really, ive got a year left with the VR and ideally want to keep the mk3 and the same lump as ive become emotionally attached, but originally loved it for the mk2 conversions that i had seen.

So, how easy is a mk3 16v conversion and what would i need if any point in the first place (i would assume however that it is quite a simple swap. Would it be better to just get a mk2 and keep the shell until ready to put a vr6 in or just keep the VR6 (not something that would take much persuasion let me tell you)

What do i do... My dad suggested getting a clio sport the other day and i almost died, although he was the one who planted the mk2 seed AGAIN!

i cant see the point of putting the 16v lump in a vr just to save fuel and to recon the vr .... dont make sense to me .... mk2 vr is an option if you want a rusty car with the vr power hehe .... id just try and stick with the vr and try not hit the loud pedal to much .... difficult i know lol

Lol I know i can get 35 on a run if im sensible which is great but its the start stop driving thats killer, did a bit of work for a few weeks and drained fuel on a small 20 minute journey which just dented the cash flow is all.

I was just thinking I can get a 2.0l lump for about £100-200 and fit it myself if its as easy as im expecting and hey presto 30mpg round town and then the saved petrol money would go to the refurb fund. But i know its a bit counter intuitive, i just need a car to get about in too

Well as much as I like the 1.8t (which I may end up with as a daily for those exact reasons when a job is sorted) I'm completely sold on the vr6 based purely on the noise if I'm honest, with hopes of supercharging it when the money starts rolling in (obviously long term) while the mk4 is a little out of my price range for a serviceable one, a 2.0 still gives me the mobility and the ability to do the refurb as much I can myself as I love to get greasy. I think it just comes down to the dirty question to sell up or stay in for the long haul. Could always get a cheap runaround and do a leisurely build. Just mainly interested in the viability of the 2.0 but the more I ponder the more it seems pointless I guess...

I'm in kinda the same situation, the only reason I drove a vr6 was the noise. I sold mine about 3 months ago to fund building the new engine, which was gonna be a vrt. Then I decided software and injectors are too expensive for my liking, plus i would break it every week, and lose my license/life. So a 2.9 n/a itb screamer on a MS ecu was the next option....now I'm down to building a 2.8 on stock obd2 with minimal mods...

But I'm losing heart in it all together, because its not that I can't afford to run one, but my god I have so much more money not running a vr6! It takes some of the fun away spending all that money....especially now with more important things like saving for moving house, cos I'm not bringing my 7week old daughter up in leigh!

Ur gonna get bias opinions on here, but I'd go for the clio or mk2. I might go even cheaper, 106 rallye, or I love the mk5 fiesta zetec s - such fun, easy and predictable handling with perfect weighted steering, snappy shifting, a 'fizzy' engine and great lift oversteer! Then build a mental vr engine over time :)

Its a hard decision, that's why I've babbled on.....i don't kno wot to do!

Lol you sound like your definitely in the same situation as me then haha. Its not fun because i love the car and the ITB idea is fantastic, seen a few videos and LOVE the sound, mental, but like you say its a bit pricey and its not that i cant run one just that exact reason, there would be a lot more safety cash should i need it.

I think ill end up getting a mk2 16v and putting a vr6 in eventually, buy and restore the lump and eventually tune it, but just for curiosity's sake whats involved in a 1.8t conversion and would it be advisable?

Putting a abf in just to save fuel is pretty pointless. I had a mk3 16v and got a average of 27mpg on a trip to work with mixed stop start drink being sensible. In my mk2 vr it's 25mpg. But it's a dead easy conversion it involes searching eBay and finding a mk3 16v for under £500 there should be a few :) would save you loads of headaches :)