New MOT Regulations regarding Catalytic Converters :-(

Previously the law has been that if your vehicle had a cat fitted from 1994 onwards then the emissions needed match certain levels - irrespective of having an actual CAT fitted. (Rather than just "is the engine on and making CO" that cars upto 1993 get!),

I took the VR for its MOT today and was told by the Tester that from Jan 1st 2012 if your car left the factory with a cat and was registered 1994 onwards, then a CAT MUST be fitted, as having one fitted will be one of the items that are checked as part of the test & you'll fail without one fitted, irrespective of how good/clean your emmissions are.

Just passing on info...don't shoot the messenger! (does anyone know any MOT testers who can confirm this?)

PS - Have got a modded original CAT that'll fit my Milltek, can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap hi flow one?! :-)

I work at an MOT station and haven't had any special notices about this, however i can say i have never ever seen a car pass an emissions test without a cat on, running through a cat test. so it would just fail anyway.

at the end of the day at our place, if a decat was able to go through a cat test, as far as we would be concerned it meets the requirements.

every MOT tester is different so up to your local tester really.

its 1st august 92 for a cat test to be a mandatory part of the test

i also thought there was a visual part of the test, like you mentioned, they will just look and see if there is a cat there.

what i dont get is how can they test to the older part of the car in an engine conversion, for instance if you put an R32 engine in, they will test it to the standards of the original car as its the older part, as they test according to whichever is older, the engine or the car but the 2.8 is actually officially rated fairly cleanly for a big engine, 199g/km, and an R32 is about 250g/km.

Under their own manual this should fail miserably every time no matter what you did.