2 of my electric windows are playing up, when they go down beyond halfway they go up and down on their own accord. Wouldnt mind too much if the rear one hadnt jammed down at 6.00 last night in the snow and I had to take off the door panel and push it up with a knocking guage. The motors do work but it seems to be a control problem, does anyone know what this could be? I have heard that the windows have rectifiers(!) (regulators?), does anyone know what these are and if they would be causing the problem. Scuse my lack of knowledge but this is my first modern car (had mk 1s for years).

If the regulators go the windows startwobbling all over the place, its a common fault (mk2's as well) - my drivers side reg is on its way out. Not really sure whats causing yyour problem though. Sounds a bit strange have you got a total closure alarm or something? I know with my old mk3 16V if you held the key all the way to the left for a few seconds it would raise all the windows up for you- it might be a sensor or something like that??? Maybe someone whose got ETKA might be able to help????

I think there's an electronic control unit on mkIII's that operate the safety feature (to stop peeps trapping their ickle fingas!).

Chances are that this unit needs to be replaced.

Try the usual parts suppliers for keenest prices.

[ Edited Thu Mar 03 2005, 10:35PM ]

• 3 weeks later...
I think there's an electronic control unit on mkIII's that operate the safety feature (to stop peeps trapping their ickle fingas!).

Chances are that this unit needs to be replaced.

Try the usual parts suppliers for keenest prices.

On early type Mk3s all the electronics for the electric windows are contained within the control units attached to the motors themselves. There are no external control units. Later models might be different though.