Sticking rear brakes Corrado VR6

Hi all

Everytime I brake to a stop and then set off again I get a fairly strong rubbing noise from the rear brakes for about a second before all is good again. I guess the rear pads are not releasing properly until the discs start turning.

My car has been parked up all week put tonight it was like trying to set off with the hand brake on, followed by a nasty groan from the rear brakes and then everything freed up again.

Has any one else had this?. I am currently running with new uprated (vented) discs from german & Swedish with green stuff pads (all changed about 4 months ago)

Hi, I used to have EBC GreenStuff pads on my old mkIII GTI and they did the exact same thing when cold.

My quick fix was to put the handbrake on lightly whilst driving to warm the pads up and it seemed to do the trick. . . . for a short while.

Maybe the pad to disc clearance needs to be set..?

Thanks guys, I'm now thinking it's a combination of the two. Mine has this problem all the time but it's worse when the brakes are cold. I might bin the green stuff pads and get something different (any suggestions?).

It's good to hear that the calipers are repairable though! I'll dig out the Bently and see if there's anything in it. Is it just a temporary fix by stripping and cleaning the calipers? or will it be good to go for some time?

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

I'm using Pagid FastRoad pads on the front with Ate PowerDiscs & VAG rear discs/pads, they're grrrreat (Tigertastic!!).

Rear calipers on mkIII's are so much better than mkII's. I've managed to successfully free up both types of rear caliper in the past which lasted quite a few months.

It's probably best to try this before going all out on new ones, whilst you're at it bung a 6-line braided hose kit on too - you know it makes sense :)

cheers mate

I think I will change my pads and will certainly look into the Pagid Fast Road.

Unfortunatley I'm off to work in Iran tomorrow for 4 weeks so the caliper work will have to wait until I get back. I think it would be best if I left the hand brake off though!

Thanks again for you advice. :)