my sister got these a few years ago for her 6n polo when she was a wee lass

180620092036.jpg

told her id polish them for her christmas one year and even made a start

180620092042.jpg

but they have plastic centre caps which mucks up that plan

290720092253.jpg

got some billet and even managed to get one of the blocks turned to size

290720092255.jpg

but she got a promotion at work and celebrated by buying a 6n2 gti which the 14s wouldnt have worked on :(

so they languished for a while.........

and a while longer............

then one of those strange things happened while I was mucking about in work...randomly moving stuff about and having a laugh

300720092271.jpg

now....years ago id planned making a spare set of 15" pirellis I had into split rims but couldnt find suitable donors and the design of the pirellis made it almost impossible to translate to a workable wheel but these had potential...........

I had a couple spare sets of 15" splits id put aside for my own long term project but measured them up and figured to use the narrower set as donors

so got jiggy with the grinder

htc284.jpg

then got more jiggy on the lathe

htc286.jpg

ta daaaaaaa

htc287.jpg

htc288.jpg

from one!!! centre

htc291.jpg

drilled half a dozen holes in a centre so I could do a dry build for a trial run to check fit

htc299.jpg

surprised my sister with them for her 21st birthday

htc307.jpg

htc306.jpg

finished machining the rest of the centres

htc309.jpg

decided to split my other set of wider wheels and basically make the teddies into a staggered set

htc377.jpg

finished of drilling the holes in the original centre....because id left as much of the original wheel as I could to retain strength it meant they were impossible to centralise and drill a couple of holes and fix the wheel solid and drill the rest using the barrels as guides so every single hole the wheel needed built,checked,marked,split,pilot hole,rebuilt and checked,then resplit and drilled....

htc854.jpg

x35 holes,x4 wheels.....

the donor wheels luckily featured barrel mounted 90' valves which I could work in with the original bears valve hole so opened it up slightly

htc864.jpg

htc865.jpg

and finally had all four wheels drilled and ready for valves :)

htc867.jpg

took them to bits and satin mopped the centres to key them for paint(theyll eventually be polished but not until I fabricate the metal centre caps way down the line)and put them loosely back together to show my sister them and let her bf take a couple pictures

light was failing so he literally only took a couple

aworkinprogress.jpg

aworkinprogress01.jpg

My sisters happy and im glad that the bulk of the fab is now finished,got a few details to fix like the id off the lips needs taken out and the lips need properly polished amongst others but theyre definately getting there :)

my only concern will be the difference between the final polished sand cast centres and the polished aircraft grade billet centres but will have to decide when that happens to go via the plating route on the centres but thats at least 18 months away now. Shes definately going to go for next year in paint