Power Steering Pump Packed In???

Well following on from my last thread, I think the pump is f**kd

Sods law, first saturday off in weeks and its scheduled to go in to get looked at and I get convinced to work for triple time. Big mistake.

Pulled out from chinese and as soon as I went to turn the wheel I heard a bang from the front end. Was plenty away from the kerb so that wasnt it and the steering is nigh on impossible to turn.

Whenever I try to turn the wheel it doesnt move, or maybe just a little, but I hear a whiney noise.

Now, has the pump given up the ghost or could it possibly be lack of fluid? Personally I hope its the latter but dont reckon it is.

Help plzzzzzzz

All is not lost !!! DON'T panic just yet...

The conecting pipe from the resevoir to the steering pump is located way down low lower left corner of the front bumper... what happens is the "O" ring round the metal "L" pipe corrodes which means when you hit a bump or lumpor simply from the pressure in the system it can shoot off ...

This metal "L" pipe goes into the bottom of the power steering pipe.. it, it;s self is jubelie clipped to a rubber piece of hose that then goes into the long rail this is located under the front Radiator...

My suggestion wgich i have done many a time is take of the "L" pipe clean it up get some rubber "O" ring wahsers from B&Qpush fit it back together and jubilee clip it up as before then take a couple thick cable ties and move the black hose it's conected to up and out of reach .. this does two things... It stops the hose or the pipe hangiing lower than the bumper so stops it catching on objects & stope the "L" Pipe rotating down to twist it's way out the bottom of the power steering block...

before i did this i was forever catching it on something or putitngmy hand under the front bumper checking to see if i had PSF on my hands ! ... lol BTW when you hear a whining noise it's beacuse you have no fluid in the system so don't drive or you will knacker it !!!!!

Hope this helps ....

It sound like the belt is slipping to me. Just have a look with the engine running and someone turning the wheel. I bought a caddy van in april and thought i needed a pump until someone pointed out the belt was loose. 5 min job to tighten. job done.

You wont be able to turn it if the car isnt moving. Like i said, start it up and set off and the wheel will turn because your moving. Have you not looked at the belt.? The squelling noise is the belt slipping on the pulley. It just needs tightening. I suppose you could call the AA and they could tighten it or do it yourself and spend sunday doing something fun instead of waiting for the AA to turn up.

You wont be able to turn it if the car isnt moving. Like i said' date=' start it up and set off and the wheel will turn because your moving. Have you not looked at the belt.? The squelling noise is the belt slipping on the pulley. It just needs tightening. I suppose you could call the AA and they could tighten it or do it yourself and spend sunday doing something fun instead of waiting for the AA to turn up.

[/quote']

You can't tighten belt if its slipping you will need to replace it

If its slipping its obviously come loose so why would it need replacing and not just re-tightening? Thats how it was on my old caddy van. Squeeling so i thought no fluid then thought pump but turnedout belt was loose. Loosened bolts on the alternator pulley and retensioned it. Are they different on vr's?

Yup they are different mate. Serpentine belt is used for water pump, PAS, alternator and air - con if you have it, all operated under one belt off the crank... As the tensioner pulley pretty much takes care of the tension it's self there's nothing to adjust so you'd have replace the belt...