ahhhhh my brain won't stop thinking, turbo time....

thing i find with chargers is that its pretty much a fixed minimum price to get it going.

what i found when collecting bits up for my various excursions into VRT's is that there are places you can save money if you know where to look, and not just by skimping on quality.

the 1st lot of stuff i collected didnt cost much over 1k and it wouldve been a solid kit good for 400 ponies. i got a few brgains through the drifting forums as they dont seem to carry the VW forum tax!

just keep your eyes peeled for bargains and remember you can do things in stages. like 1st running it on stock injectors and a rising rate regulator, non-intercooled. then fit better injectors, get it mapped and intercool it

thing i find with chargers is that its pretty much a fixed minimum price to get it going.

lol that's because to get it up and running you only have to buy one thing - a charger !! ;) there is always going to be more room for price decrease / increase when you have to assemble a kit of parts mate but as you say it depends on the quality of parts you want to fit

i abandoned my 1st build as i thought i'd done my bottom end, also was looking at spending what i had on the turbo stuff again on the transmission etc decided i couldnt justify that kind of money on an old banger! second time around just wasnt happy with th quality of some of the kit.

i reckon you could easily VRT for the same money as going s/c

I personally think, with using T3 turbo as used on the ford cosworths, i could quite easily build a turbo'd VR for about 1k.... maybe less.....

i'm gonna staqrt to get bits together and collecting to build.

Also it would be the same as supercharging,

run a standard ecu,injecters low boost until i can get enough to get megasquirt etc....

let the challenge begin.