My Car Sounds Like An Impreza

Since I've had my car its had a slight pinking/misfire & would judder when cruising between 2-3k Rpm in 5th. I changed the impulse sensor yesterday but didnt reset the ecu - it was driving the same with the same pinking/misfire - this evening I've reset the ecu and took it for a drive, started off fine but once I got on the dual carriageway & tried to replicate the 2-3k Rpm judder it was seriously worse than before - I used to rev it and it'd be fine but I had to pull over, it'd idle fine but as soon as I pulled away it was juddering and sounding like an Impreza and had no power! I could only pull away if I put the accelerator down very, very slowly. Im gonna put my original Impulse sensor back on and see if it makes a difference incase the one I got is a dud as it was meant to have been a good s/h one.

I suppose I can rule out the coil pack as this was gonna be my next point of call. The cars booked in next week to have the cat taken off so I might see if they can try and find what it is - cars a bit undriveable now! :@

Anyone have any ideas?

sounds like theres a possibility you could have the same prob i had.....its not the actual sensor, but the magnetic thing thats goes on the sproket (which the sender then reads).

i presume you had the fault codes checked? and it came up with the hall (impulse) sender fault as an intermitant fault? bet it would come up as a constant fault now.

there is a way of testing the actual sender....but not sure how...i didn't do it, my mechanic did it.

Could it be the canister purge valve? I read on another post and the guy had exactly the same symptoms - my cat convertor also smells a lot when its misfiring.

I didnt have the fault codes checked - just removed the impulse sensor, cleaned up the s/h one and fitted it to see if there was any difference what so ever but there didnt seem to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Its turned out that its the ABS control unit! Last thing i was expecting - last owner had moved the led/light so it wouldnt show! The solenoid inside is faulty & its causing the EDl to cut in hence not being able to accelerate etc when it does. Would be good if it worked as it should and not cutting in thinking I need to slow down when Im on the outside lane of the motorway!

[ Edited Sat Mar 26 2005, 01:31AM ]