These new camera thingies... ???

Cheers....

More detail please.....

Just to clarify i have an Nikon F65 SLR (flim) camera already and want to utilise my 100, 300, 500mm lenses which is why i want to stay with Nikon... However I am aware that only certain bodies (new or Old????) have the motor function in the body rather than the lens so need to make sure the body has this function...

So I like the idea of saving pennies and thus would be okay to go second hand.... BUT, which ones as the numbering systems dont seem to make sense and understanding which I can use and can't is a mine field... and how old they are etc..

So in the Nokia range which bodies/lens combos??

I want to make sure it is okay for an enthusiastic ammateur who keeps it in its' box and has to remember how to use it everytime it comes out to play. :D

Also what do i actually need to worry about? The engineer in me thinks these are important but are they?

Transfer speeds

Clock speeds on the processors

Battery life

Takes the right cards that allow fast data transfer etc

Screen sizes

Pixel ratings/levels/issues

Also I picked up somewhere that the lenses have a multiplier effect as standard for DSLR compared to old SLR. Is this true and what does that mean to me and my old lenses????? would a 300mm DSLR lens equate to a 500mm Film SLR lens for example????

Cheers

R

Firstly you gotta make ya mind up man.....NIKON or NOKIA you keep changing!!!!!!!!!!......... The D series cameras from Nikon are the normal everyday SLR, where electrical contacts on the body where the lens goes in send power to the motors in each lens. This is the most common type. I don't know how the new compact looking thing from Nikon works, so can't comment on this.

With regard to your magnifier effect yes and no. The image is not magnified as such, it's the impression that you get. Basically with a FULL FRAME sensor DSLR, you get the same image size as a film camera, with the APS sensors, there is a CROP (not magnifier) factor to be taken into account. Because the sensor is smaller than the full frame sensor, it doesn't go right to the edges of the aperture of the lens, but rather it uses the centre section, and as such you don't get the full picture, what you end up with is an image you would have got if you had used a full frame camera and multiplied the focal length by 1.6 eg a 300mm lens on a crop sensor gives the same image as a 480mm lens on a full frame sensor, but NOT as magnified....

I hope that made sense to you!!!!!

LOL Nikon.... :D

It kinda does... I'll read it again a couple of times... :D

Now the lens thing is interesting.... I expect my old SLR lens not to have motors in them. But the body will/does... and the cheaper (more basic) DSLR to have the motor in the lens and not the body... So if that is/wouldbe the case then this would limt my selection of camera model would it not???