been on a run out with the mrs today,

very dark on way back and my standerd headlights were total pants, poo, crapp,

could not see jack, :-p

more orless following the rear lights ov the car in front,

got some hellas in shed, wich i like the look ov but just as bad inthe dark,

been having a look around for a hid kit for the hellas, but wot size do i go for,

and are they legal, any help please

the legal limit for HID bulbs is 6500k. anything above, the mot man might get a bit fussy and fail it, or your local plod. depends what they are like up round you mate. also, bear in mind the law is changing on hids. for example by the end of 2012 any vehicle fitted with hids must have headlight levelling and headlight washers. hope this helps

because of jobsworths, bad as health and safety inspectors them lot!

4000 is yellow, 5000 is yellow white, 6000 is light sky blue white, 8000 is blue and 10000 is getting on for purple

8000 and 10000 are too far up the spectrum and less light is given off as you go up

5000 is the pinnacle between brightness and whiteness

6000 is the nicest to see things with as it looks just like daylight light and the light loss is negligible

i think 4200 or 4500 is OEM spec.

There is an alternative to light upgrades, wiring harness upgrades with relays, giving the lights the full 12v could make them as bright as you need, the power loss over the standard harness is noticeable

I've got Hellas with 6000k HID's in mine....

Now for the MOT bit...My mate is a tester and I asked about this law regarding the headlight, his reply was "there doesn't have to be an automatic/switch controlled self levelling system in the car. There has to be the facility to align the headlights correctly". This is ALREADY on the Hella lights and the standard lights, so don't worry about that bit. I also asked about the inclusion of headlamp washers, he said "that the ministry hasn't told him anything about this, and doesn't know where it came from."

I am going up to his house tonight to drop my motorbike off for storage for a while, I will ask again about the washer system to double check.

They say that the auto levelling is better, but if you've got a Chelsea tractor coming down a bumpy road at you the lights bounce up and down like crazy and it's very off putting and dazzling, it does make you think if the people making the decisions ever go out of their test areas sometimes.

I've driven behind friends specifically to ask them if my lights dazzle or are off putting and no one has had a single problem with them, and I have never once been flashed or stopped, and the pigs round here are like rats, never more than 15 foot away from one

hids4u are the best' date=' strathy code used to work dont know if it still does, i think it does and gives lots of discount

[/quote']

Thanks for the info mate, Had a quick look the kits look quite good quality and good that they do the slimline kits and also matching bulbs for sidelights etc.

:)

so wot size bulb do i need to order H1' date='H2,H3 - H7 etc, for me hellas,

[/quote']

If you are getting the hid kit, tell them what car it's for nd it'll come with the correct bulb.......... I'm trying to remember what mine were. It's on the thread somewhere, and Lukey was the one that told me which bulb I needed.... Hope this helps