Abs and traction control not working

Hi folks, I went to view a P reg mulberry 5 door vr6 today and I was quite pleased with the overall condition with it until my friend pointed out that the abs light wasn't coming on when ignition was on. Whilst on the test drive the car had no abs and no traction control despite my best efforts to trigger them. Is this a common problem and what are the likely causes and remedies. Thanx

E

Probably the previous owner has removed the ABS bulb to hide an underlying issue.

You'd need out it on VAG-COM / VCDS to identify what fault codes are bought up, you'll then need get a new abs bulb unit once fixed as it the ABS light must light up and go out to pass an MOT.

Usually it's just a speed sensor that goes, cheap fix, but could be a bigger issue if previous owner has gone to the trouble of removing the bulb!

You can either 1) confront them and ask 2) turn up with vag-com/VCDS to see what the fault is 3) walk away :)

Pete

Also can I just add, yes they do have traction control, but unless your on snow it won't work. So if you do floor it and try to spin the wheels, it will just spin.

It's a very basic traction control that only comes on under a certain speed and throttle position if I remember correct. Basically it just puts the abs onto the spinning wheel, but wont cut power, and doesn't really work.

There are a few for sale on this forum in the cars for sale section section of the market place.

I don't think you can see this until you have 10 posts though, to stop people joining just to sell or buy 1 thing.

I'd rather buy one of the owners club personally as you wouldn't join up here unless you are passionate about cars and going to look after them :)