mk3 golf the worst golf ever?

hi folks, this whole thing about the mk3 golf being the worst golf ever, is their any truth in it? the only golf ive ever driven is a mk3 vr6 and from what i can see its a lovely refined car but i cant really compare it to other golfs

when my friend came in to say hi the other week and i told him i have a vr6 he basicly said "oh they are ment to be the worst golf made" was he right? discuss lol

in my view

and this is as they came out of the factory, no modified versions as they are always better :D

Mk1 - Good

Mk2 - Better

Mk3 - Same

Mk4 - Atrocious

Mk5 - Much better

Mk6 - Not interested

The late Mk3s have the rep of being the worst for rust and rot though

:)

Opinions considering the styling/bodyshell, rust, handling or whole package etc?, i only ask because engines make hell of a difference..... i mean for example the mk3 GTI 8v is quite poo in comparison to the mk2 GTI 8v ;).

Agree the mk4 is probably my least favourite, but that said i love the 4mo!, tricky question to be honest :).

Honestly when the MK3 came out, i didnt like it, didnt like the styling..... but it's becoming apparent at the moment, present day, it is starting to become a well loved classic shape, and looks great to me now! :).

Build quality was a good as ever, but the rust is a shocker....

I could relate to the base models being thought of in that wat. A mk1 and 2 look as good as a low engine spec as a GTi.. a mk4 looks almost the same bar a few little things and wheels, and the mk5's and 6's all look the same except the r32.

The mk3 1.4 however, looks shite!, plastic bumpers, no power steering etc etc but you can't compare a mk3 cl with a mk3 vr6. And lets face it, most of the people who say this have probably only ever driven the 1.4 or 1.6 base model!

Mk3 have a rep of being a bit lardy, but thats mainly a reference to the GTi variant. The MK3 NEEDS the VR engine to cope... the MK4 got even more lardy. The mk5 looks like a peugeot so it got ruined and the MK6 is a box on wheels...... Mk2 has best styling. The best golf is a MK2 with either the VR6 engine or the R32 engine. The second best golf is the R32, but it has to be the MK4 version. Any of the other R32/36's just look like a GTi...This is just MY opinion

Mk3 have a rep of being a bit lardy' date=' but thats mainly a reference to the GTi variant. The MK3 NEEDS the VR engine to cope... the MK4 got even more lardy. The mk5 looks like a peugeot so it got ruined and the MK6 is a box on wheels...... Mk2 has best styling. The best golf is a MK2 with either the VR6 engine or the R32 engine. The second best golf is the R32, but it has to be the MK4 version. Any of the other R32/36's just look like a GTi...This is just MY opinion

[/quote']

To a degree i agree about the Mk5, all but the deep blue pearl R32, that should have been the only colour it was available in, and the Mk5 GTI should be only candy white. These are the only 2 Mk5 I would give my own money for. And they would have to have the leather bucket seats

ive had my fair share of hot hatches over the years and altho i havent driven other golfs, my opinion on the mk3 vr6 is a good one, its like a grown up gti for me, looks stylish while being discreet, sounds glorious and the ride on smooth roads is lovely(my car is lowered on nasty springs!)

bit thirsty tho, but the noise!

People have those opinions due to the MK1 and MK2 being far lighter and more nimble.

The MK3 came along and was heavier which made it a bit wallowy and not to quick........so people naturally compared it to what came before...

The VR engine changed the speed factor though and the handling etc can be sorted out easily and cheaply. Then it's a match for most cars of around the same era.