where has my golf been ???

If it says the date of first registration was 2000 then you should be able to put a plate up to that date on the car, presumably X reg, but the fact it has an R reg plate probably means its a 97 as if it was imported and they can prove the origin and age the car gets an age appropriate number plate, if they couldn't prove this it would get a Q plate.

Are you certain you are reading the date declared new in the V5 is 2000?

its says date of first registration is 12/12/2000 on log book. then underneath it says first registered in the uk in 12/12/2000. so u think it may be a import? is there any other way i can tell. as my mk1 golf gti i had that was a import as i had the original vw invoice from new in german. but dont have none of that with my vr. so u think i may be able to change the number plate? but the one on it now is quite smart. but it would confuse a few people to see a mk3 with a W reg plate on !!!

It sounds as though it is definitely an import.

The V5 should say "first registered" 2000, then there should be "date of manufacture" 1997, hence the R plate on the car. But to answer your "can I put a 2000 plate on?", the answer is NO. Sorry.

ihave owned the car for just over four years now. so i had old log book and i recieved the new style red and blue one last year. so its not a fake.

but surely if it was a import the clocks would be in kmh not mph . surely the insurance would of picked it up when it was wrote off and i claimed on insurance as it was not my fault. or can they not trace that?

ihave owned the car for just over four years now. so i had old log book and i recieved the new style red and blue one last year. so its not a fake.

but surely if it was a import the clocks would be in kmh not mph . surely the insurance would of picked it up when it was wrote off and i claimed on insurance as it was not my fault. or can they not trace that?

The clocks could have been changed by the previous owner. If the car has already been registered as an import, the insurance company would have been aware of this when you insured it, but I don't think it would have mattered for a claim, as the car is also an official import.

Best way of checking is to take your chassis number to a dealer and they will tell you where your car is from. Or they should be able to!!!!